55 Chrysler Steering Issues

chickenfarmer

Recruit
I have a 55 hp chrysler motor and the steering is really hard. Need two hands to move the steering wheel. We know it is not the motor. Any ideas????

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 55 Chrysler Steering Issues

Build more muscles?

We need a bit more information.
It is hard to turn all the time? Under power? only at full throttle? In the water? Out of the water. It is hard to turn in both directions?

Do your cables run down both sides of the boat or one side? Are your cables twisted? Rubbing on anything?
Need input... More input....

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What is your steering setup? Does the steering cable run into the tube on the motor? if so, have you tried greasing it? I have an old 35hp that I had to turn all the way until the rod was out of the tube, then grease the rod. I then worked it back and forth for quite a while, adding more lube as I went. It eventually got alot better, but you should have two grease points right there above the tube. I would also check for binding anywhere it can, ie... the steering joint, a kinked steering line etc. Also lube the kingpin that the engine rotates on, there are grease fittings there also. Is there a nut on the steering column that you can tighten to keep the wheel from moving? Mine has one, and I occasionally forget to loosen it after trailering. Hope that helps.

chickenfarmer

Recruit

Haven't had it in the water yet, but last time we used it in the water it was hard. Yes, hard to turn in both directions. Cables run down one side of boat and I don't see any twisting or rubbing.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Disconnect the cables on the outboard. Right at the connection and see if you can move the outboard side to side easily. If you can't then it's not a steering issue.

After that check the springs and pulleys on the cables. see if the pulleys are moving when you move the steering and see how much tension is on the cables.

chadderkdawg

Cadet

My steering column was crooked on mine when I got it, made it pretty hard to turn, might check that and make sure there is no binding of the cable on the backside.