'82 Chrysler 140hp Tilt / Trim Wiring Question

Poncho Villa

Seaman Apprentice
I just recently purchased a used '81 Ranger 330V with an '82 Chrysler 140hp engine. The tilt / trim doesn't work so I've searched through here for help but need more.

Most posts I've found mention two relays; one to go up and one to go down. I cannot locate any such relays on the boat or in the engine so I'm not sure if it's wired for them. Is that likely or am I just not looking in the right places (under the engine cover, in the battery well, under the dash)? :confused:

I found where I can disconnect the wiring (one green and one blue in a single connector with one black tied to ground) and was able to get the pump motor to work by directly connecting the wires to the battery (black to ground & alternated blue & green to positive for up and down). I'm guessing maybe a bad switch or wiring from the plug to the switch but I'd like to know your ideas.

I'll start with that and learn from your input and I've got many more questions after this little trial is resolved. :redface:

Just for some background, I've NEVER owned a boat before and I'm extremely green. However, I have a little shadetree mechanical skill and tinker with cars so I'm not afraid to try your suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Poncho Villa

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '82 Chrysler 140hp Tilt / Trim Wiring Question

After dinking around a little, I found a bad ground. :facepalm: I fixed that and voila! The pump motor whirls like it enjoys it. :D The trim goes down quite quickly but up is a different story. Since the boat sat for a few years before I bought it, I'll check hydraulic fluid & see if I can help it out with a little care and feeding.

By the way, I still haven't found any relays so I'm guessing that my tilt / trim is not wired for such. It's no biggie but I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I appreciate any insight.

If you have any suggestions for getting an old boat lakeworthy, please feel free to share. :)