88 force 85 horse tilt trim check valve missing

bighead1

Recruit
I just purchased a boat and on the bottom of the tilt motor, there is a hole. It says manual tilt. I was told it needed a check valve. Anybody know the part number? I have called mercury marine and got no answers. Can anybody help??

RRitt

Captain
Re: 88 force 85 horse tilt trim check valve missing

the check valve part # is F17620. But life is never so simple. The shuttle usually goes flying out with the check valve. The shuttle does not have a part number and was never sold separately. If you do have the shuttle then you must figure out why the valve went flying and fix it. Sometimes it isn't fixable and you have to replace the lower casting. If you don't get a good seat on the retaining ring or if you use a standard steel retaining ring then your new check valve will go flying out just like the old one.

bighead1

Recruit

that is the part number I purchased and it don't fit? Now somebody told me it is the manual release valve? Is it possible to purchase the whole pump on the bottom of the elctric motor? What is that called? They want $300 for a used part. The engine is barely worth 300.

RRitt

Captain

the pump assembly is motor + valve body. The motor includes reservoir. The valve body is the thing on bottom where tubes are attached. Bleed down is caused by valve body. There is no manual release valve on 1988 trim. However, the valve body is made from universal casting and people often call the check valve a manual release valve. It isn't though.

you can get a new valve body for $130-$250. The different amounts you pay will be for different boxes and stickers. There is only one place making them and they are all the same. The new ones are made in Asia from softer metals and won't hold up under big horsepower as well as original. However, 85HP isn't that big and I think a new one would not have any problems lasting fairly long time.

rebuild is cheaper and better quality but not as fast to get boat back on water.

$300 for a used vavle body? I want some of whatever he's been smoking.

bighead1

Recruit

thanks. I really only need the check valve? But can't seem to find one. My motor runs fine but with the check valve missing it has no fluid and doesnt move anything. 300 was for the pump assembly