Force 90hp 1990 Starter Replacement

jlinton

Cadet
I was having some starter issues that a could be unfixable. Slow cranking even with a good charge and a jump off a buddies boat. Took the starter off and dicovered it to be full of murky brown water (very bad). Cleaned out and tried again, same slow cranking. I am planning on giving it a long dry out period but am looking into a new starter. Is there a cheap starter that fits? A cross over automotive starter?

JettyJetSki

Cadet
Re: Force 90hp 1990 Starter Replacement

Im having the same problem right now, No crank on a brand new fully charged battery(12.37), but hook up jumper cables from my jeep to that fully charged battery(13.30v) and it'll crank but very slowly, it seems like I would need 20+ volts to get this thing started..? Im gonna check my ground tommorrow, but anyone that has info on buying a new starter would be helpful. mine is a 1989 85hp Force.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

As far as I know, there is no automotive starter that swaps in. You do have a choice of Bosch or Prestolite.
You should have a permanent magnet starter so the case will be OK if you simply clean it well and allow it to dry. The bendix needs to be removed and the top bushing (in the top end cap) needs to be cleaned, dried, and re oiled. Then, lightly sand the commutator until it shows bright copper. If brushes are worn to less than 1/2 inch, they need to be replaced and if the brush springs are weak, they need to be replaced also. These springs ensure good contact between the brushes and commutator. Without that good contact, the starter may spin but will have no power.
Check the commutator for loose and burned wires. You can try taking the starter to an auto store where they will test it on a "growler."

JettyJetSki

Cadet

As far as I know, there is no automotive starter that swaps in. You do have a choice of Bosch or Prestolite.
You should have a permanent magnet starter so the case will be OK if you simply clean it well and allow it to dry. The bendix needs to be removed and the top bushing (in the top end cap) needs to be cleaned, dried, and re oiled. Then, lightly sand the commutator until it shows bright copper. If brushes are worn to less than 1/2 inch, they need to be replaced and if the brush springs are weak, they need to be replaced also. These springs ensure good contact between the brushes and commutator. Without that good contact, the starter may spin but will have no power.
Check the commutator for loose and burned wires. You can try taking the starter to an auto store where they will test it on a "growler."

Maybe ill just do that, remove the starter and take it to autozone or something.

jlinton

Cadet

Check your grounds for sure, all of them, also check any connections that may be between the battery and the starter. A kill switch, the solenoid, etc. My problem turned out to be directly related to the starter being filled with murky water!! Surprise, surprise. I ended up dismantling the starter and drying it out, then removed the ground contacts for the brushes. That was my problem, cleaned the contact surfaces, and grabbed a couple of stainless screws from my local unfriendly home depot, and BAM, starting again. Better then a new three hundred fifty dollar starter from the (cough* RIP OFF) boat store.

ghurudeo

Recruit

Orida
i was having some starter issues that a could be unfixable. Slow cranking even with a good charge and a jump off a buddies boat. Took the starter off and dicovered it to be full of murky brown water (very bad). Cleaned out and tried again, same slow cranking. I am planning on giving it a long dry out period but am looking into a new starter. Is there a cheap starter that fits? A cross over automotive starter?

Jiggz

Captain

If you are in a very dire situation and has to get a new starter for cheap albeit lower quality, check A m a z o n by doing a search for Force starter. But even then be ready to shell out at least $60~$80 for a new unit. As for the OP with water in the starter, rinse the inside of the unit with warm soapy water and then rinse with plain water. Air dry and then dry more in the oven 140~175F for about 2~3 hours. Anything higher can damage the solder. If the commutator looks rough follow Frank's advice.