1998 Force 120 HP Electrical Problems

hilljs

Recruit
While tubing on the lake this weekend, toward the end of the day, I noticed the engine bogging down and water pouring from the bottom of the cowling. Once the water drained, the power increased, only to repeat again. When I turned off the motor, turning the key back on would not do anything. I was able to pull start the motor to get in, and was able to tilt raise the motor for trailoring, but when I tried the tilt again - nothing. There doesn't seem to be any power in the motor, however the other boat power systems are working fine.

Questions:
1) I am sure that the water must have shorted something out, however, it was strange that while it didn't turn over with the key, I was able to pull start it and raise the motor. But now since nothing on the motor works electonically (including the tilt), does anyone have any ideas where to begin looking for the problem?
2) Where did the water in the cowling come from? I had been using the boat all weekend (about 12 hours or more) without incident until then. That particular trip, I did have two larger people on the tube, which may have pulled the back down some, but I did raise the motor on the jack to the highest position, and the cowling still filled with water.

Thanks for any ideas.