Install new plug wire on CDI - 1985 Force 125

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering if it is posibble to cut of the existing plub wire end and add on a new end on the spark plug end so it snaps on tightly. My plug wire ends are kind of rusty and loose. I still have good spark, I think. Can I cut of the wire leaving 3 or 4 inches at the CDI and install a whole new female with a new boot etc? Thanks. 1985 125 hp 1258x5a

Spiderman626

Cadet
Re: Install new plug wire on CDI - 1985 Force 125

That is what we are doing to replace our rusty loose boots. We are doing ours this week. Have you increased your speed on your boat yet??

Jerry

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you have the wrong Bayliner guy with the 125? Mine is fine, I'm guy who couldn't figure out how to install a "simple" ingition switch. Is there any particular way to go about replacing the boots without messing up the wire into the CDI? Eric

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yes you can put on new spark plug boots and connectors, but there's a few things you need to be aware of. The wires on the CD modules cannot be changed. If they're too short, you're in trouble. I would leave them as long as possible. The original spark plug connectors are stainless steel wire. If you use a standard steel automotive connector, they'll rust and corrode real fast compared to the originals leaving you in worse shape than when you started. For best results use the stainless steel ones which are a little more expensive and not as common. Spark plug boots for 7mm wires work well. Any larger and they don't fit snug around the wires.

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the warning. They are just long enough with a little bit of slack. They work for now, I just looked into the boot and I thought for a couple of bucks I would make them better. I will just close my eyes and walk away. Maybe a dab of dieklectric grease to prolong the inevitable. Thanks again!

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's the trick: Get a spray can of silicone lubricant. The old boots will slide right off, you can put new ends on the wire, and new boots will slide right on with lots of silicone spray. Work fast, as about 30 seconds after you spray it, it's no longer slippery enough. Some boots....thats the only way to change them. And by all means get the stainless steel ones as mentioned above.