HELP!!!! 16 volts on voltmeter, then engine dies, no spark, 96 Mercury Force 90

fordnutt

Cadet
Was taking a leisurely cruise on the pontoon today with the family, was running along about 5000rpm, happened to look down at the voltmeter and it was reading 16 volts, had been reading 14 all day, then all of the sudden the engine just shut off, took the cover off and noticed one of the yellow wires had gotten hot, and melted a little, so i spiced it back, but nothing, doesnt sound like it getting spark, any ideas????

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: HELP!!!! 16 volts on voltmeter, then engine dies, no spark, 96 Mercury Force 90

fried stator and possibly cdm damage.

test, then replace with cdi brand components

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: HELP!!!! 16 volts on voltmeter, then engine dies, no spark, 96 Mercury Force 90

If I can jump in here......just my 2 cents worth.....I'm betting the rectifier/regulator burned out, hence the 16 volts. Although I've never personally seen a bad rectifier/regulator cause a no spark condition, the Solec manual does state as a first test to disconnect it...insulate theg wires of course...and see if you have spark. If you then have spark, the rectifier/regulator is bad and is interfering with the ignition. (I don't see how that can happen....it appears to be completely separate from the ignition circuit....unless there's something in the wiring diagram I'm not seeing!) Also check for any blown fuses, circuit breakers, other fried wires, etc.

fucawi

Banned

It almost certain a wire to the battery has come off and the output volts has risen and buggered your ignition ..16v is the normal off load volts for your flywheel alternator,,,Always remember test dont guess and no one on here can test it for you so we are all using educated guess and experience

fordnutt

Cadet

The stator is red and brand new, i will do some tests tonight and hopefully figure out what it is, cant figure out how a brand new stator would burn one of the yellow wires like that,

fordnutt

Cadet

Checked stator, had .648 k-ohms, so im guessing its fried, took a picture of the regulator/rectifier? does it look good, i did notice a couple dark areas in it

Attachments

• 2011-06-14_19-59-13_464.jpg
    2011-06-14_19-59-13_464.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 0

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

.648K ohms = 648 ohms. Normal stator resistance between Green/White and White/Green wires is 500 - 700 ohms. I think your stator is fine. Most likely your Rectifier/Regulator is toast.

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

Checked stator, had .648 k-ohms, so im guessing its fried, took a picture of the regulator/rectifier? does it look good, i did notice a couple dark areas in it

Dark area's don't necessarily mean anything. Check it with your ohm meter. You want current to go one way, but not the other....and no shorts to ground.

ac0j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If your yellow wire looks burned, I would guess it was a bad or loose connection on that wire. It can cause sparking at the point of the bad connection that eventually heats and melts the wire.

fordnutt

Cadet

Well found a bad cdm today, and since my voltage ran high ive got a voltage regulator coming also, will post results when parts are in , THANKS

fordnutt

Cadet

Replaced the cdm, and while i was at it replaced the voltage regulator with the one people are using on this site, boat fired right up, thanks to everyone for the advice and help, if i can be of help to anyone just let me know.