1993 Force 40 HP outboard will not start or run.

pingree70

Recruit
I will try to give as much detail as I can in order to get this issue fixed.

Motor: Force 40 / 2 stroke / 50:1 mix
Removable fuel tank 6.6 gallon
Model: #H040412PD
Serial: #0E033312
Purchase date: 05/08/93
Boat: 1603 Spectrum by Blue Fin
Batteries: 2 - Die Hard platinum marine battery (1 starter and 1 trolling motor)
Clymer Force Outboard Shop Manual (used a lot lately)

In late summer 2010 I replaced the original stator with a new red stator after the original went bad. While I was diagnosing what was going on I replaced the ignition switch, spark plugs, and kill switch. Once the stator was installed the motor ran great for the rest of the summer. I put the boat up for the winter after winterizing it like I am supposed to. Pulled it out of the barn early this spring and with fresh fuel and oil started it with muffs on, started and idled fine. Thinking ahead I changed the water pump and rebuilt the lower end. I put it back into the barn for a couple of weeks, then took it to my local lake to go fishing. The motor would barely start, and when I finally did get it running it had a miss when at full throttle and kept stalling when going into gear, also idle seemed to high. I brought the boat home pulled the plugs and looked it over for something obvious, I found nothing. I put the plugs back in and tried to start the motor with the muffs on. It will not start, it will however give a backfire every once in a while. Here is a list of what I have checked so far:

Kill switch (replaced 2010 / working)
Ignition Switch (replaced 2010 / Working)
spark plugs (replaced 2010 / clean)
Stator (I get a reading of 600 Ohms when testing)
coils (I get a reading of 925 Ohms and 956 Ohms when testing)
3 fuel filters (clean)
Primer bulb (no issue)
Engine primer system (working)
all grounds cleaned and inspected
carb (rebuilt 2010 / clean and working)

I did a spark test and got a pretty good shock, but it looks like sometimes the is spark and other times there isn't. I am thinking coils but want any ideas you all might have. Please give a frustrated fisherman a hand before I go back to a kayak.:facepalm:

bigboyboater

Recruit
Re: 1993 Force 40 HP outboard will not start or run.

hey fisherman. i too have a 93 40hp force. i recently baught it from a guy and he said he had not ran for about two years. so a replaced the impeller and spark plugs too but it didnt start. you should take out your spark plugs after you try to start it up and see if you see any water cause mine did and turned out the head gasket burnt out. which caused water to get in it. i remember you saying you had spark and then it stopped. i replaced the head gasket and thermostat and it started right up. so i hope this can help you in anyway. remember if you do want to open the head to inspect the gasket buy a replacement anyways cause the old one will not work well after you opened it.