50hp force marine power outboard 1989 need help- ignition switch

criley

Cadet
i have a 50hp forse 1989 US marine power outboard modle#507x9a searial# 1540 2 cylinder and i am haveing problem after problem and now in stuck on the ignition switch one of the prongs were broken off and i cant seem to fined a new one that works...the one i have is very simaler to the old one but all it keeps doing is blowing fuses.....i dont know if it has something to do with the fact that my boat has a emerngcy shut off switch or not? please help me :confused:
maybe the wireing color codes will help me .....
i have 5 post on the switch

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 50hp forse marine power qoutboard 1989 need help- ignition switch

It's blowing fuses because you have something wired wrong and it's creating a short. I'll go look up my wiring diagram for it...meanwhile, a few questions:

1. Did you replace the ignition switch with another that has the 5 prongs?
2. Look at the back of your switch. You should have 2 terminals with the letter M by them. That's your kill circuit. There's usually another wire coming off of them going to your emergency kill switch/lanyard. If I recall correcty, in 1989 they are both white wires. Doesn't matter which one goes where....it shuts the motor down by making a connection between them. I'll double check my diagrams though....
3. The terminal B is the hot wire from the battery.
4. That leaves 2 more.....if you have the 'push to choke' feature, the center wire is the choke.
5. And the last wire would be to your starter.

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

See below for wiring diagram....I had the wrong one posted here.

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class

that diagram is for a D model and criley has a A model, not sure if the colors are the same??

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ah....here's the A model below:

Force50hpA.jpg

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

that diagram is for a D model and criley has a A model, not sure if the colors are the same??

Good catch...I missed that! I put the correct one up :) There are a few differences....

criley

Cadet

ok thanks that was a big help i got it now but now im still not geting a spark could it be the blue things buy the ingin i thinke coil box or something like that and also i have a lil black box that is like a restet switch and it was pushed out i pushed it back in but nothing changed.......please help a dum girl try to fix her boat all i want to do is go fishin;)

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

"lil black box that is like a restet switch".......sounds like a circuit breaker. Check both sides of it for equal voltage. If you reset it, it should be okay, but they do get old and quit sometimes.

Refer to the wiring diagram above.....it shows 2 brown wires, one from each Cd Coil Module. Those are the wires to shut the engine off. (It kills the spark.) Disconnect those at the buss bar and see if you then have spark. If it fires up, you'll have to touch those to a ground to shut it off. Ideally, pull both plugs, ground one and use a spark tester on the other wire. If you get spark, the problem is a short in the kill circuit.

The ignition system is completely separate from everything else.....the only place it ties into the rest of the wiring is for the kill circuit. The voltage rectifier/regulator has been known to create some no spark issues. You have the stator that creates voltage for the CD modules, the trigger to tell it when to fire, the modules of course and the plugs. Make sure the engine is cranking over fast enough to create a spark. If it cranks too slow, you'll never get spark. (With the plugs out, it'll spin faster.) Do you have an ohm meter? If not, WalMart sells them for around $11.00....Radio Shack around $30 for a good one. You can test everything in minutes except the CD Module. If everything else tests out okay, and you have good cranking speed, then by process of elimination you can probably assume its the module. (According to the diagram, your CD module and coils are integral together.)

criley

Cadet

thanks that helps a lot i will let ya know what i come up with after testing

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

The solec manual suggests disconnecting the voltage regulator/rectifier...and if you then have spark, you've found the problem. I've never seen that happen....usually the rectifier/regulator just goes bad and you get a no charge situation for your battery....but the book says it happens.

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Before spending the money on module, be sure that the magnet under flywheel has not come unglued. I scratched my head and scratched my head, everything had tested good, but then I pulled my flywheel to take visual at stator, I happen to notice that the magnet strip came unglued and was just spinning. I glued it with epoxy and low and behold I had spark again. Also if checking the magnet, be sure and test by prying up on it slightly, not just visual check, because the magnet will stick to the steel of the flywheel. Hope this helps.

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good idea to check last, before buying a module....some of the flywheels can be a real pain to get off.

criley

Cadet

ok im heading out to check all this i will let u know soon thank u so very much:)

criley

Cadet

ok well i got a pully puller and got the flywheele off and low and behold the manget inside the flywheel the big cycler thing was not attached to the flywheel anymore so i cleqned it up and got some marine epoxy and glued it back to the flywheel now just waiteing the 50 mins for it to set up i thinke i got it thanks so much u are a big help and saved me a lot of money and hopefuly i can take my grandpa fishen.....:):p:)

criley

Cadet

this is just never ending still no spark i just dont know qwht to do now any one knw any where to get it fixed near annarobor michigan?:eek::mad:

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would check to see that the epoxy held before doing anything. The flywheel should come off easy since you just put it on. Also if you do take the flywheel back off, look closely at the wiring coming from the stator and make sure the insulation is not rub away from the flywheel(mine had a worn down spot that I repaired before putting the flywheel back on):facepalm::confused::(.

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

You got the woodruff key in place, correct? I'd give the epoxy a good 24 hours to set...better check it. It was running when that magnet went....I refuse to believe the module acted up at the same time.

criley

Cadet

thats why i just dont get it i touck off the fly wheel and the blak manget that goes under the flywheel was no longer stuck to the the flywheel it was just siting there....i used epoxy and yes its still sticking very well .....(but the lony thing i can thinke is that the magnet is warn donw and not rubiing on the silver part that creats friction) or the cd coils are bad but i just dont know i really thought i had figured it out when i seen that the magnet was not stuck on the fly wheeel.....whats a woodrufff keyis that that thred that the fly wheel has to be lined up with to back on right? and its confusing because none of the wires are the same color as the digrams is there a inline fuse im missing or something?

criley

Cadet

would the spark plugs gaps be an issue is ther a way to test the coiles im going to take some picture so i know if im talking a boiut the right thing and what does the stator look like is it the magnet under the flywheel?

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The magnet is a strip of magnet that lines the inside of the flywheel. Is this the one you glued? It should be about 1 foot long(when removed from flywheel) and maybe 1-2 inches wide, it fits between the flywheel and the stator(glued to the flywheel though)as the flywheel spins with the magnet, the stator stays stationary. Be sure and test the magent with something to make sure it still has magnetism. Also like Robert D said, be sure the woodruff key is in place. Post pics like you said, so we can be sure of proper parts being worked on.