1973 Chrysler 55 HP Shift Cable Problem

Rob85

Cadet
Hey all,

I have an issue that's going on with my control box that's not allowing me to shift gears. When I bought the motor and controls there was no shift cable (which I purchased). The cable hooks up fine to the motor but there is no piece in the control box that clamps the shift cable like there is for the throttle cable. As a result, when I push the handle down it pulls the whole cable and not just the inner rod. I looked at the parts page of a comparible motor (1 year newer though) and sure enough the diagram doesn't show any part in the control box to clamp the shift cable and the site shows that only 1 clamp is necessary in the control box (the one for the throttle).

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Chrysler/55%20%281974%29/559HG/REMOTE%20CONTROL/parts.html

Am I missing something here? What can I do to secure the outer case of the cable so the inner rod can move back and forth?
Thanks!

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1973 Chrysler 55 HP Shift Cable Problem

Do you have the old chrysler controls?

Here's a pic of the cables.
05291934.jpg

Rob85

Cadet

That looks like my control box, but I'm not sure that mine has that white bracket on the left. I'll check it in an hour when I get home and reply back. Thanks!

Rob85

Cadet

That works, thanks a lot!

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No problem. I know when I got my set up I messed with mine for a long time.