Force 125 - Can't identify a part. Timing adjust maybe?

shantyboat

Cadet
Along with The Shantyboat came a Force 125 HP (about 1985). I have rebuilt the carbs and I have found the info here on getting it tuned <sigh> which plan to do.

However, there's a part I can't ID. It's just below the flywheel, on the left looking at the motor from the front.

There's a screw which is threaded both ends. One end seems to screw into a block which goes to the stator (?). The other end has a plastic collar which appears to be connected to a crank at the top of the "timing tower" (right term?).

Questions: what's it called?
What does it adjust?
How?

I'm asking because the little plastic collar developed a crack. Well, two cracks. I was able to remove it and epoxy it back together before the cracked piece disappeared forever into the bilge, or whatever the seventh circle of the motor's called.

In removing, however, I messed up whatever adjustment it had, and don't know how to get it back to where it should be.

I've reassembled it and the engine starts and runs. However advancing the throttle does not result in revving the engine. It slowly speeds up to about 2000 RPM.

Therefore I think I've got to readjust the timing and I'm guessing this thing has something to do with it.

I do have the repair manual but it doesn't seem to ID this piece.

Any help appreciated.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 125 - Can't identify a part. Timing adjust maybe?

Yeah, that is your timing link. The assembly consists of a screw, nut, and two plastic blocks. It connects from the timing tower to the nose of the trigger ring. Set both plastic pieces about 3/8 to 1/2 inch apart to start. Then put a timing light on the engine and adjust to 30 degrees before top dead center at wide open throttle.

If you need to buy a couple of blocks, go to the local Mercury dealer and let them look up ignition parts for and early 1990s Force for 90 to 125 HP.

shantyboat

Cadet
Re: Force 125 - Can't identify a part. Timing adjust maybe?

Great. Thanks. Just what I needed to know.