Force Motor wants to die after cold start

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer
Takes acouple tries to start on cold motor, but once it starts with about 50% throttle motor still dies out. Then when starting again it will finally run. Warm starts are pretty good though. Is this normal? Fuel pump changed this year, new fuel/water filter added, plugs are newer. any suggestions?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force Motor wants to die after cold start

hey there furyman, is this the '98 120 in your signature?

Just to double check your starting procedure.......

There is no conventional choke on that motor.
There is a fuel enrichment valve, that releases fuel directly into the intake manifold.

Open fuel tank vent if portable tank.

Check the kill switch, place in "run" position

Squeeze fuel primer bulb till firm. This fills the fuel line, the fuel pump, and the carb bowls.

Advance the throttle 3/4 way or more, without putting it in gear. -- This is done by either pushing a button in the center of the controls, or pulling the shift handle toward the driver, or raising the fast idle lever, all depending on what control unit you have.

Activate the choke (fuel enrichment valve) by pushing in on the key. The valve is only open while the key is being pushed in.

Turn the key to start while continuing to hold the key in.

Release the key and choke when it starts.

3-5 seconds of "choke", is usually enough.

Be ready to pull the throttle back toward the idle/neutral position, when the engine starts and the revs increase.

Continue to pull the throttle back as the engine warms up.

You should not have to use the choke much, if at all, once the engine has warmed up.

Engine should start within 10 seconds of turning the key.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Force Motor wants to die after cold start

roscoe,
yes its the boat in my signature, i read your post and i will give that a shot and report back. thanks for your info!