Looking for info for Chrysler 20hp Starter

om3gadagg3r

Recruit
Hello I am looking for info on how to respool the starter rope and also if/where I can get an electric starter motor for this outboard. Many thanks,

P1010407.jpg

P1010405.jpg

P1010406.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for info for Chrysler 20hp Starter

You release the screw in the top of the spool and remove the pin that passes through the pinion and spool. You then make a tool from a nut and bolt (either 10-24 or 10-30--I forget) so that the bolt does not go all the way down into the threaded hole. screw it into the hole and wind the spring with a wrench. Wind until the rope handle is snug against the engine cowling. If the spring will not wind or winds partially and skips, then the tab on the bottom is broken and you must buy another spring. You can probably buy a spring at old outboards or franzmarine@aol.com but they are expensive--if I remember, around 40 bucks--ouch!

Assuming the spring is OK and rewinds, position the hole in the spool with the slot in the pinion and reinsert the pin. reinsert the top screw and tighten to lock in the pin.

In addition to an electric starter, you need mounting hardware, a solenoid, and an elecrtrical board. The starter mounts on the starboard side of the engine and things get really tight there. However, the 20s I have use a different carb and spool starter so I may be incorrect on the electric starter for your particular engine.

Because of the parts needed, you are looking at a significant amount of money unless you find a junker with good starter parts. Unless you have your heart set on electric start, it is not economical to retrofit the engine.