1983 Chrysler 9.9 gear case oil problem.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer
Ok so I got this 9.9 on trade and checked the lower unit found it was leaking. resealed it and now i have oil coming out of the water inlet in the gearcase. I double checked this thing 3 times and am wondering if I am missing somthing. I even have gearcase oil in the water pump. This means that the oil is coming through the water pump and back out the water inlet. I replaced the seal under the water pump. Any suggestions would be great.

milo55

Recruit
Re: 1983 Chrysler 9.9 gear case oil problem.

I have the same problem on my 1972 9.2 hp motor. The ID of the seal under the water pump was replaced with seal PN JC 043 100-8 but I do not thik it fits thte shaft tight enough. I trying to find out what the correct seal PN is. Any ideas would be great!

Ok so I got this 9.9 on trade and checked the lower unit found it was leaking. resealed it and now i have oil coming out of the water inlet in the gearcase. I double checked this thing 3 times and am wondering if I am missing somthing. I even have gearcase oil in the water pump. This means that the oil is coming through the water pump and back out the water inlet. I replaced the seal under the water pump. Any suggestions would be great.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1983 Chrysler 9.9 gear case oil problem.

Yeah I figured the same thing , also there is only one seal under my water pump cover and there usually is two in all other brands.