1985 Force 125 HP Winterizing Question

tdough21

Cadet
Last fall when I was winterizing the motor with fogging oil after I was done, I noticed it was coming out of the lower unit. I can't remember exactly where it was coming out from (pivot pin or vent plug?). I still have to drain & replace the lub in the lower unit yet this year, so don't know what I'll find. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1985 Force 125 HP Winterizing Question

It was probably coming out of the exhaust snout or maybe one off the weep holes close to the vent or fill plug. This is normal. If you do notice any oil from the vent or fill plug, there is a gasket under the screw plug that should be changed. Even if they are not leaking, look at them closely to be sure they're in good shape. This is often overlooked as a source for water getting into the lower unit.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

winterized mine for 7 years, fogging oil always comes out the lower because it does Not completely end up in the carbs, does Not completely burn off either. comes out weep holes or the carb fronts and down inside of the lower unit, then out somewhere...

never worried about it, appears normal, never any problems.

tdough21

Cadet

Thanks for the replies and reassurance. Anybody have a good source to buy gaskets?

lugnuts

Cadet

I used rubber O rings from home depot! They work 10X better!!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Any Mercury or OMC dealer will have them. Get extras and replace often.
Yamaha seals are smaller.
That's all normal leakage.
The excess oil from fogging and unburned gas/oil leak out.