Trouble starting 78 Chrysler outboard

No1Brvzfan

Recruit
I am a new boat owner. I have a 1978 85Hp Chrysler Charger motor. I am having a lot of trouble getting the motor started, mainly due to not being familiar with the proper way to start it. I took it out the other day and I could not get it started at all. After a while it would not even turn over, I assumed I flooded the motor. Can someone please guide me on how to properly start a choke motor.

emoney

Commander
Re: Trouble starting 78 Chrysler outboard

Couple of things. First; welcome to iboats. Second; it's always best to run a compression check, then spark test and then fuel on any "new to you outboard" before even getting to the point of starting. As for your Chrysler, I'm sure one of the real Chrysler pros will chime in, but in the mean time, I had a Chrysler 50 so I'll give it a try. Your ignition key should be able to "push in" while turning. If so,
that's the auto choke. In neutral, your controls should have a "warm up" lever that allows you to get the fuel flowing. Pull out the warm up lever and push the throttle forward (it won't go as far as if you were running and in gear), push in on the choke while turning the key to start. Always make sure your fuel bulb is tight by giving it a few pumps before you start it. If this doesn't work, then I'd post the results of the Compression/Spark/Fuel tests and wait for the "pros" (like Frank)

No1Brvzfan

Recruit

I just got it out of the shop a couple weeks ago and it had a compression test and the mechanic took it out and had no issues with the motor starting. I am sure all this trouble I am having is operator error. But I have tried to get it started on the water twice, and have not had any luck getting it started. Would it be worth it to go buy a pair of muffs and " practice " this starting procedure at home until I get the hang of it? Because it is really frustrating backing the boat in the water and not being able to get the motor started. The more advice I can get from the experienced boaters the better off I will be. Thank You.

emoney

Commander

Absolutely, but make sure you read up all you can about using muffs, etc. You didn't answer my question; did you ""push in" on the key when you were turning it to start?. That's where the choke is.

While you're buying the muffs, get a battery charger too because you can easily drain the battery trying to start it with no avail. Don't get frustrated, it'll come.

No1Brvzfan

Recruit

Yes, I tried pushing the key in. Just so I don't do it again, how do you flood the motor? And am I supposed to " push the key in " every time I try to start it?