Tilt Trim Install - Wiring Diagram, Thrust Bracket, & Relays for 85HP Force

Mark9740

Seaman
Resident Force Experts,

I'm in the process of installing an assembled 2-wire tilt trim system on my 85 HP Force. I'm fairly handy but need to track down a wiring diagram to make this happen. Any suggestions? I only have the 2 wires coming off the pump motor, nothing else. Also, I've read from previous posts that the reverse lock may need to be removed and a thrust bracket installed but I can never seem to find one on ebay, my major source for parts. Any suggestions there? Is this really necessary? Lastly, I've also seen where the relays can be sourced from old cars in junk yards. Where exactly on the cars should I be looking for these relays? Are they blinker or flasher relays? Or are they somewhere on the engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tilt Trim Install - Wiring Diagram, Thrust Bracket, & Relays for 85HP Force

I can't help you other than to suggest "googling" your question too, but have to say I admire what you're doing. Planning and installing little upgrade projects and sourcing good parts (cheaply) and tech info is a fun/challenging endeavor. Good luck and keep us posted...

RRitt

Captain

try boats.net parts diagrams. last time I looked the thrust washer was available from dealer for cheap. just buy any 2w mercury mariner or force wiring harness. they are all identical with minor revisions. you should be able to find one for $20-$30. 12v 5pin bosch style relays are a generic design so any old trim or auto headlight relay will work. all amps and ratings are sufficient for your application. some relays use glue when outer casing is snapped into place. glue seals the seam and makes the waterproof. That would be nice if you can not guarantee a dry location inside the cowling. and, as always, the chinese ones come apart when you try to unplug them.

jkoppe73

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I beleive that part number is F449354. There is one currently listed on EBAY

Mark9740

Seaman

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input and advice.