1988 Bayliner Bass Trophy Boat - How To Connect New Universal Kill Switch?

I have a 1988 Bayliner Bass Trophy boat with a 1988 Force 125HP engine, and I want to replace the existing kill switch.

I bought one of the new Universal Kill Switches (See photo attached) to replace the rotted one I have that is all rusted and sticks. My original wiring diagram (See photo attached) shows that the 2 existing WHITE wires come from the ignition as "Magneto" and "Magneto Ground".

Emergency Kill Switch 02C.jpg

The new kill switch has 4 connections, 2 with "I" and 2 with "M". The instructions are nothing! All it shows is a picture and "I" Ignition and "M" Magneto! I thought they were indicating one wire to "I" from Ignition and one wire to "M" from Magneto? Apparently not :D

New Kill Switch.jpgNew Kill Switch Instructions 01.jpg

Can someone please tell me how to connect the 2 White wires from the ignition to the kill switch?
pencil.png

Re: 1988 Bayliner Bass Trophy Boat - How To Connect New Universal Kill Switch?

*BUMP*

Can someone help me with this Please :)

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The kill switch operates by grounding out the ignition system. Under normal operating conditions with the lanyard attached, the kill switch is "open". To figure out which terminals to use, do the following. With the lanyard attached, take an ohm meter and read resistance across both "I" terminals and then both "M" terminals. Which ever pair of terminals read "open" are the ones you connect the wires to. When you pull the lanyard off the switch, the pair of wires that read open, now should read a dead short. My guess is you should be using both "M" terminals.

Can you define the terms "Open" and Dead Short" on the Ohm meter?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

"Open" meaning there is no continuity, infinite (high) resistance. If you have an analog meter with the needle, the needle does not move. If you have a digital meter, the numbers don't change.
"Dead short" means very low resistance. On an analog meter, the needle will peg to one side. On a digital meter, it will read very low numbers like 0.3 or 0.6.

If you do not have a meter available, or if my explanation is not clear (my apologies), just try hooking the two wires to the "M" terminals. Attach the lanyard and try starting the motor. If it starts, pull the lanyard off the switch and that should kill the motor. If it doesn't start when attached to the "M" terminals, try the same test except attached to the "I"terminals. It won't hurt anything. There is no voltage on the wires. It just simply shorts the ignition signal to ground.

Thanks!

I have an analog meter I will try to test is this afternoon.
It has been some time and I forgot how Open and Dead Short showed on the meter :(

I tested the 4 poles on the emergency shutoff switch:

Magneto/Magneto: 2.8ohms
Magneto/Magneto with Lanyard: 0.0

Ignition/Ignition: 0.0
Ignition/Ignition with Lanyard 2.1ohms

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

From your measurements, looks like you need to use the two Magneto terminals.

I will have to check the old switch, it has a 3 fingered lanyard key. 2 wrapped around the switch and one went over the top to hold the switch down.
The new one has the 2 fingered lanyard that holds the button in the up position.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Actually if you look at the old switch closely, you'll see that the two fingers on the sides actually pull the center post up just like your universal replacement. The finger on the top just helps to hold the key in place. Helps prevents it from flopping around slipping off. I had the same setup on my old kill switch ( 3 finger key ). I replaced mine with the exact same universal switch that you have. I couldn't find a new replacement kill switch that used the old 3 finger key. Been a while since I replaced it so I couldn't remember off the top of my head which terminals I used. Regardless, you want to use the two magneto terminals on the replacement switch. You should be good to go.

I metered the old switch and it was the same as Magneto - Magneto, I installed it and it worked fine! Thanks for all the help!

Very low quality Blackberry Video:

You may want to right click and save link as and view at like 50%.
You can also right click and open in new window with your browser and shrink the window down.

Bayliner Bass Trophy Boat - Emergency Off Switch

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Glad it worked out for you.

backpain

Cadet

I have this same universal kill switch. How would I hook it up for my 1979 Chrysler 45HP?