85 force- will idle but loss of power in forward

monkey bizzness

Recruit
I have an 1983 bayliner capri with a force 85 o/b. just bought the boat about 3 weeks ago. It all started when i test drove the boat. The shifter had broken BEFORE i test drove it and it had been replaced, but it was installed incorrectley. forward was actually reverse and back went forward. got that straight, changed plugs( to flat probe type) it'll start and ilde low (sometimes real fast). it ran real powerful in the driveway. but under a load in the lake it runs REAL strong in reverse, BUT at about 1/2 throttle in forward it trys to stall, or if im lucky to get it at full throttle it has NO power. I understand these are tempermental engines and that i am very new to this, but i do enjoy my new headache, lol, and really want to get this resolved. can anyone give some strong advice to guide me?

Thank you:facepalm:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 force- will idle but loss of power in forward

Sounds like the shifter might be the wrong one or needs to be set up right.
As far as tempermental? NOT.They are simple and straightforward.Easy to diagnose and easy to work on.
Make sure the shifter is moving the throttle to the wide open position.
At the top of this section is a link from FrankA it explains the link and sinc for carb set up.
Get a FACTORY manual.The other don't give the best info.Jerry