Force 120 - 1998 (Merc) - Temp alarm at idle

buzzbomber

Seaman Apprentice
Bought my first boat, has a 120 force on it.

Having issues with temp alarm at idle after about 2-3 minutes temp alarm sounds. If I put it in neutral and give it some gas temp alarm will go away pretty quickly or if I just throw it in gear and go faster temp alarm goes away quickly.

It alarmed twice at idle then for the rest of the day boat ran great but I avoided staying in idle for more than a minute.

I'm new to boating and trying to figure out the issue, since looking it up I should have killed the engine quickly. But I ran the boat for about 4-5 hours afterwords and it ran great so hope I didnt do any real damage.

From what I read it could be the impeller, the housing, or thermostat? does that sound right and Is there anything else I should replace or check?

Trying not to hose the engine, it runs great at speed and in reverse, just idle makes it heat up.

appreciate any advice.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 120 - 1998 (Merc) - Temp alarm at idle

Definitely take a look at the impeller. Look at the first entry at the top of this forum labeled "Sticky: Force & Chrysler FAQ and other great information". You'll see a listing for a step by step impeller change procedure.

buzzbomber

Seaman Apprentice

Cool, thanks for the feed back. That guide should help a lot. Going to buy the water pump kit and a new thermostat and replace it this weekend. Hope that helps with the idle issues.

I'll post any results I get afterwords to hopefully help the next guy.

buzzbomber

Seaman Apprentice

I'm looking for part numbers for the water pump repair kit, I found another posting but it listed a bunch of different numbers and the original poster never said which one was right.

18-3214 Kit #1
817275A2 Kit #2
47-43026T2 Impeller

F664068 Thermostat

Anyone know which if any of these will work?

buzzbomber

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, just to help out any future 1998 120 force Engine Owners.

Issue: temp alarm at idle sounds after 2-3 minutes. Weak Telltale at idle. Strong at cruising speed no overheating.

Resolution: water pump kit.

I was skeptical just a water pump kit was going to resolve it as the impeller was just changed 3 months back by the last owner, After inspecting the impeller it did look new but it was a different size. I dont think the guy took the time to look up the right impeller.

If you need a pump kit for this motor order part# 18-3570

I've never worked on an Engine, didnt know what an impeller was until 2 weeks ago, so as far as replacing the pump kit it's pretty easy.

If you want to know how to do it watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQNhFYFvdQ

The video is on a mercury but it's the same lower unit and just follow every step in the video and you'll be good to go. The Gear Shift rod is a little longer on the force but that's the only difference.

Tools you'll need:
- Metric Socket Set.
- Putty Scrapper & RTV silicon.
- Marine Grease. ( I used quick silver)
- Wire Brush.
- Gasket Sealant (Not required, but good).

All in all the kit + tools were around 100 bucks. Would have spent more having a shop do it and now I have a set of tools for the motor and learned a little somthin in the process.