Water leak on a 1989 Force 85hp

7501sl

Cadet
I was out today prepping my Bayliner with its 89 Force 85 hp (856X9C) for the upcoming warm weather. While it was running in a tub I noticed a cycling spray of warm water coming out of the precise location that I marked off with a black square down by the lower unit in the attached picture (not a pic of my outboard). It wasnt a lot of water but it was there. Any thought of the specific seal/gasket or other item that might have failed? Ive never removed the lower housing before since I used to have a marine mechanic who would change impellor, etc but I figure Ill try fixing it myself. Just needed to know what I should be looking for. Thanks.

Attachments

• FORCE85hp.jpg
    FORCE85hp.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1

Mushy's Dad

Recruit
Re: Water leak on a 1989 Force 85hp

Sounds like a rubber boot on return line from the motor is leaking. Nothing to scary. Get a manual and a water pump rebuild kit since you are in there anyways. Pay close attention to the shift rod height when pulling and replacing the lower unit. Happy boating.

7501sl

Cadet

Sounds like a rubber boot on return line from the motor is leaking. Nothing to scary. Get a manual and a water pump rebuild kit since you are in there anyways. Pay close attention to the shift rod height when pulling and replacing the lower unit. Happy boating.

Thanks for the reply. I already have a Seloc manuel which I bought before I found out on this forum that it was substandard compared to Clymers. Looking at the diagrams the leak might be coming from the water hose or even waterpump itself. I guess I wont know for sure until I crack it open and take a look. I hate the idea that waters probably just sitting there, rusting things up.:facepalm:

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i hate my seloc manual.... ****tiest manual for forces ever. Check the lower unit oil to see if your getting any water mixing with the lower unit... if its not I seriously wouldnt worry about it much.... When i did my waterpump last year I applied a bead of silicone from the lower leg to the upper leg where the 6 bolts hold the lower unit on

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

The lower unit isnt sealed there so it's normal for exhaust and water to come out there where the lower seperates from the rest of the engine.

7501sl

Cadet

Check the lower unit oil to see if your getting any water mixing with the lower unit... if its not I seriously wouldnt worry about it much...

I drained the lower unit today and there was no evidence of water intrusion/emulsification. The lubricant was pitch black. I allowed it to drain for 1/2 an hour. I did see a few minute metal particles in the lubricant but according to my research its normal so long as its not excessive. I refilled with a quart of hypoid 90, slapped some new gaskets on the fill and vent screws and replaced. Thanks for your advice.:)

7501sl

Cadet

The lower unit isnt sealed there so it's normal for exhaust and water to come out there where the lower seperates from the rest of the engine.
Ah, so its NOT sealed...I really have to read up some more. Thanks!