'74 Chrysler 10 HP, Sheared Crankshaft Key, Hairline Crack in Flywheel

mpfgrs

Recruit
I have a Chrysler 10 HP (model 102HB). I removed the flywheel and discovered that the crankshaft key had been sheared off. I also noticed a hairline crack in the flywheel, coming from the corner of the slot where the crankshaft key fits in. First of all, how do I remove the broken piece, and where can I find a replacement crankshaft key. Secondly, is the crack in the flywheel anything to be concerned about.

The reason that I pulled the flywheel is that I was not getting a spark. When I bought the engine, it was running. The first time I took it out, it started twice briefly. I was not able to get it running after that. Is it possible that the broken crankshaft key would cause loss of spark?

IMGP3830.jpg

IMGP3832.jpg

IMGP3837.jpg

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer
Re: '74 Chrysler 10 HP, Sheared Crankshaft Key, Hairline Crack in Flywheel

No you cant use the flywheel..unless you're on a suicide mission. It could blow apart.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Don't be concerned about the flywheel----Just throw it away! If you can't find another one on the auctions, send me a private message. I have a couple.

The broken key will definitely cause loss of spark because it also drives the points cam. Slide the cam up and if you are lucky, the tab will still be attached to the stub in the crankshaft slot. If not, just drive the broken piece out with a screwdriver. You can get a key probably from any Mercury dealer for a Force 9.9. Maybe even here at iboats. If no luck there, contact franzmarine@aol.com

mpfgrs

Recruit

Just wanted to give a quick update. I was able to find a new key on eBay. I also replaced the flywheel. This did in fact correct the problem of no spark. After just a few pulls on the rope the motor started right up. Thanks for the input.