Timing a 1998 Mercury Force "Tracker" 75 HP

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does any one know how to time a 1998 Mercury Force "Tracker" 75 HP?

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Timing a 1998 Mercury Force "Tracker" 75 HP

Does anyone know where to get a manual for these motors,???? The forum is to slow for me. I need answers.

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats a pretty steep price, all I really need is a how to on setting the time. I have a timing light gun, and I am reading from the top of the motor it needs 8 BTDC at idle, does that sound right?

carholme

Rear Admiral

I don't have a manual in front of me but I am sure that someone who does will be along shortly.

Gerry

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I got the timing done correct, now I am just worried about the fuel gas mixture, since I only have one carb, it should be easy.

One thing I had trouble with the other day is before I went to launch it stalled out while hooked up to the trailer, only difference was I was not running off the ear muffs

I figured it was an idle issue with the mixture at idle, which is adjusted on the screw at the top of carb, right?

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same motor & they are great when tuned but a pig when out of tune. They are easy to adjust as they only have one carbie but it is always a compromise as the top cylinder runs leaner than the bottom. I always err just on the rich side when adjusting the mixture to ensure the top cylinder is not running lean. If the idle speed is set too low the motor stalls frequently.

The idle/mixture adjustment is the last thing I do when servicing the motor. Have already checked compression, fuel, spark, decarbed, cleaned carbie, checked float level and timed the engine.

Timing link to FAQ section http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=228183

Link and Sync by Frank Acampora. Better than the manual. I set the timing on the water. Not sure whether Frank is talking about static timing in this artical.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=431021

Good Luck

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same motor & they are great when tuned but a pig when out of tune. They are easy to adjust as they only have one carbie but it is always a compromise as the top cylinder runs leaner than the bottom. I always err just on the rich side when adjusting the mixture to ensure the top cylinder is not running lean. If the idle speed is set too low the motor stalls frequently.

The idle/mixture adjustment is the last thing I do when servicing the motor. Have already checked compression, fuel, spark, decarbed, cleaned carbie, checked float level and timed the engine.

Timing link to FAQ section Joe Reeves WOT timing procedure?/ 228183

Link and Sync by Frank Acampora. Better than the manual. I set the timing on the water. Not sure whether Frank is talking about static timing in this artic

Synchronizing Carbs and timing on a 75-150 Chrysler or early Force?/ 431021

Good Luck

As informative as the LINK AND SYNC by Frank Acampora was, I just cant figure out step number 6,
"Adjust timing to 30 degrees before top dead center at full throttle"

I would assume you check this with a timing light, but at full speed? with the cowling off? with a second person at helm?

Please help with this step, I have been trying to time this engine for most of the day on the Toms River in NJ and I have been rocking back and fourth all day and feel like the keyboard is moving underneath my fingers

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

NEVER attempt to set timing while under way. Frank A's tutorial is static timing if I remember correctly. No need to run the motor to time it. Do it in your driveway :)

Step 1. Remove and ground all spark plugs BEFORE you turn the motor over. If you fail to do so you will fry CD packs.

Step 2. Put controls into full forward wide open throttle. Hook timing light leads to top plug wire which is #1, and battery + -.

Step 3. Use a remote starter or buddy at the helm to crank the motor over while you run the timing light. While in the boat... looking at the motor... point the timing light at the flywheel and block pointer. On the flywheel will be a cluster of 3 vertical lines. You want the pointer on the block to line up with the 28 degree mark on the flywheel while cranking. This is the furthest right line of the 3 cluster.

Step 4. If the lines don't match up, adjustment is made on the plastic blocks connected by a screw, just under the edge of the flywheel.

I know there is probably something I missed, or do differently than others, so when in doubt search for Frank and Jerry's explanations :)

I will add pics tomorrow of how I do it.

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the motor wont crank if its in gear and at WOT. will? am I missing something here? I know I can disconnect the gear cable, but if the controls are set to WOT I dont think it will go, will it? I have never tried this, and I am really looking for the answer

tater76

The goal is not to run the motor while static timing it. You just want it to turn over at cranking speed. I use a jumper wire on the neutral interlock switch to remedy the problem you state. I have not had a chance to take the pics yet, but will this afternoon. They will explain it a lot better.

tater76

Earlier models have a neutral interlock switch on the motor itself. I am not certain, but I think yours is new enough to have the switch in the controls. No worries, jumping the switch is not critical. You can connect a remote starter button/switch to the starter solenoid, put the controls into WOT, and turn it over. Or just use a jumper wire on the starter solenoid connecting the two positive posts just long enough to check the timing. Either way, this bypasses the safety switch. That said, my pics would not help much. They just show how to ground the plugs, hook up the timing light, where the timing marks are. I am sure you already figured those out ;)

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that was useless, thanks for your help...anyone else have any ideas

tater76

Just trying to help...... thought that was pretty straight forward info???. I guess you need to use the search function on this site, and watch the timing tutorial at the top of the forum again. Maybe that will help, if none of that info is enough though, you should take it to a marina to be timed by a professional. The procedure is lined out pretty clearly, and all you need to do is jump the starter solenoid as I stated before. This will spin the motor over (in WOT) while you put the timing light on it. It may be easier with two people, one on the light, one jumping the solenoid.

krobertson

Seaman

It was straight forward...so much so that I hope I can use it to do my Force 85hp L-drive. Only problem with mine is I could only see 2 marks on the flywheel which I could have missed the 3rd. Also not sure where the mark or block is that I need to be watching for the static point. I guess I could pull plug #1 and get it to TDC and see where the marks are. Then what ever the marks are close to on the flywheel cover should be the area I am watching correct for the static mark correct??

Does anyone know what the correct timing on the 1989 85 hp Force L Drive...28 degrees or what mark on flywheel?