97 75Hp force Slipping or missing when warm

Dan Mckenna

Recruit
Hello I am a newbie with a fairly decent mechanical background. I have a 96 or 97 force 75 hp on my 20 foot pontoon that is slipping or missing when warm. I just replaced the plugs water pump and housing. there was some water in the gear oil but no sign of metal shavings. I have checked with different props and there is no prop slippage and the cavitation plate sits about 10 inches under water so i do not believe it is prop slippage or it coming out of the water. So basically when I am driving it normally at full throttle (its a pontoon) I have noticed a slip or a miss. the motor runs strong and smooth but it intermitadely feels like the motor misses or slips and tilts back and then comes back against the boat and makes a slight jolt and kind of a dong sound. I have noticed some fuel coming from the edge of the bowl on the carb. Do you think it could be losing fuel for a second? possibly a coil going bad? or a lower unit problem? i am kind of at a loss and looking for any help in taking the next step in diagnosing it.

Thanks for any help,
Dan

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 97 75Hp force Slipping or missing when warm

Sounds like the clutch dog is slipping.Probably feels like you hit something.Speaking generically could just be a cable adjustment.Sometimes a worn clutch dog,some motors have a detent that helps it stay ingaged.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The Force lower units don't SLIP.If it feels like it's going in and out of drive.It's probably the clutch dog in the lower.Un hook the shift cable at the motor and go for a ride.Shift it manually and see if it does it again.If it does it while the cable is un-hooked then the dog is the problem.
They can be fixed.With the right tools.Or just replace it.
The carb,if it's leaking then try tightning the bolt on the bottom of the carb.
Ethanol is messing with the rubber and plastic.It's easy to replace this.J

Dan Mckenna

Recruit

Thanks guys! I bought a repair manual and a new coil just to see. I did notice the number one cylinder plug to be a little bit more wet and a lot cleaner than numbers 2 and 3. I will try disconnecting the cable. If it is out of adjustment which is the best way to move? Shorten or lengthen the shift rod? I am taking it out tomorrow so any last hints before I hit the water are appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan