1989 Force 50HP - Oil Leak from water intake

httysctty

Cadet
Well, I installed all new seals in the lower unit last summer. I have had issues with my shift rod coming undone not allowing me to shift into forward and reverse after the engine ran awhile (vibrated it loose). I just used some locktight last night and it is all good. Today, let the engine down to start her up and oil started coming out of the water intake (see pics). I take it I will need need to replace another seal? If so, which one, ones? Did I knock a seal loose when I was messing with the shift rod?

Thank in advance for your help and all the help before! You guys have taught me more than I ever thought I would know about outboards.
Scott

Attachments

• IMAG0043.jpg
    IMAG0043.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG0042.jpg
    IMAG0042.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Loki007420

Recruit
Re: 1989 Force 50HP - Oil Leak from water intake

Bump

I too am having a issue witha 50hp Force Outboard with oil coming out the water intake. Boat hasnt been fired up in 4+ years. I got it out of the garage and lowered the motor and oil started dribbling out the water intake..

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Force 50HP - Oil Leak from water intake

That looks to be lower unit gear oil. Better drop the lower unit and check the seals on the top of it. (Under the water pump, where the shift rod goes through, etc.