Chrysler 45 Starting Problem

backpain

Cadet
Hello,
I am having a strange starting problem that maybe someone could help me with. I have a 45HP Chrysler outboard model #457h9k serial #3095. It has been a great running motor since I got it last spring.

On my last trip of the year I got it off the trailer and tried to start it at the dock and it would not start. I could hear the automatic choke click and then a harder click when I attempted to start it but nothing would spin. I checked all of my connections and looked for loose wires and could find nothing amis. I tried to start it again and it fired right up. I let it warm up at the dock and shut it off to test it and it started and ran fine.

Later in the day I tried to start it to motor back to the dock and it gave me the same trouble as earlier before finally starting one last time to get it back to the dock. When I got home I looked it over once again and couldn't find any obvious loose connections. I hooked my battery to the charger for the night and it was reading as my battery was bad. I chalked up my problems to a bad battery and replaced it over the winter.

Today I pull the boat out to get her ready for the spring and put the muffs on, I then held in the key and heard the electric choke click counted a few good seconds like the mechanic told me to and then when I turned the key I was greeted with the same loud click as before. The starter doesn't move to engage at all.

This time when I lifted the hood I noticed my coils look as if they are cracked badly. What should I look at to trouble shoot this problem? Here is a picture of the two coils. I have not been able to find replacements anywhere if they are indeed the problem.

IMG_9417.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Chrysler 45 Starting Problem

Those coils do look awful, backpain, but I doubt that they have anything to do with your starting problem.

Looking at battery cable connections and checking for loose connections just does not go far enough. You need to remove the connections, clean them and reconnect. A clean looking and tight connection of the battery ground cable to the engine block can have a few thousandths of one ohm of resistance from corrosion. That is enough to cause the symptoms you have.

I can't tell you where to get new coils, but I wager that when you clean up your battery cable connections the engine will spin.

Good luck. :)

backpain

Cadet

Thanks for the advice, I will start with a thourough cleaning of the battery connections and will let you know how it turns out.

As far as the coils go, could I use any 12v coils like the universal ones sold for cars or tractors even? I would imagine that them being cracked isn't a good thing. :facepalm:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Sounds more of a starter/solenoid problem.Test them.Those coils are are still available.Not cheap but can be gotten.Look on e-bay.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I agree with both Jerry and the Moderator. Remove and disassemble the starter. Clean the commutator (copper part upon wich the brushes ride) and if the brushes are worn to less than 1/2 inch height, replace them. If the brush springs show signs of overheating and/or are weak, replace them also. Clean all the battery connections.

Coils, while cracked and poor looking, are functioning since the engine does run. They do not relate to a cranking problem, only a lack of start due to no spark. For the present time, seal the cracks with epoxy or silicone RTV to keep out moisture

backpain

Cadet

I had a bit of time today so I pulled the boat out and worked on the motor. I disconnected all of the wires and cleaned all of the connections making sure everything was tight and still had the exact same problem. My neighbor pulled up and took a look with me and tried jumping the starter directly. It turned right over so we changed out the solenoid. The generic one from Pepboys didn't work. Thankfully a friend had an old single pole one laying around.

Working like a charm again. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for answering with your result: I will store that one in memory for next time someone has a slow turning starter. Apparently your solenoid had carboned the contacts and they were not passing full current to the starter motor. That would be an easy cleaning thing IF the solenoids were able to be easily disassembled. However, new ones are not that expensive and quicker to install than cleaning.