40 HP Force idle adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

dendot

Recruit
When i put my 40 hp Force motor into gear to go, in the water, the engine dies unless I sit there and let it warm up for about 15 minutes. It seems to idle fine, until it is put into gear, then it dies. in the water ( not on dry land ) Would increasing the idle speed correct this ? and if so can any one point me to the way to do that. There are several screws on the carb, but i don't want to go messing with any of them until I KNOW that i will not mess it up.

In addition there is a note on the side of the engine that says that if the idle speed is adjusted, then the throttle cable must be adjusted In what way must the cable be adjusted.

I imagine I could take it to ANOTHER marina to get it adjusted , but that is where it had been and i know what they did was adjust it , in the shop, WITHOUT having any water resistnace on the prop, as it does in the water, where it dies.

Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks

Denny

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 40 HP Force idle adjustment

Must be done in the water.Where are U located(profile).What are we working on?Year model.Any info U can think of.
In the water,warm,in gear.should be about 750rpm.The tower shaft is where U adjust the idle.
The end connector might need a small adjustment after you step up the idle.J

dendot

Recruit

Currently in Pa this boat ( Alumcraft Angler ) is only / mostly used in Florida , last year I had this problem where i alwas had to advance the shift lever quickly to keep from staling upon engaging in gear. the motore is a 1996 Force 40 HP

There is one spring washered screw on top of the carb about 2 " back from the opening, and one screw hold a half moon shaped accellerator lever . I do not know what you mean by the "tower shaft"

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Get a manual FIRST!!! Do U have good compression(should have asked thet first)Then always put the year and model# and serial# when asking for help. boats.net has diagrams for all Force motors.Follow this link to a generic diagram. Mercury Force Outboard Parts 40 H.P. (1992-1994) 0E000001 THRU 0E093699 SHIFT AND THROTTLE LINKAGE Diagram #11a is the towershaft the adjustment is done through #17/18 Loosen#18 and turn in #17 then retighten #17.J

That screw on the carb is an air screw don't touch.If U already messed with it turn it in till it bottoms out.Then out 1 and 1/8th turn.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The yellow arrow is pointing at the idle speed adjustment screw. It has a lock nut to lock the adjustment. It's mounted on the arm attached to the vertical "tower shaft". The tower shaft rotates as you move the throttle back and forth. Screw it in to increase the idle speed. The screw with the spring on the carburetor itself is the idle mixture screw.

Attachments

• IMG_7982.jpg
    IMG_7982.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 52

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Possibly getting time to clean that carb.

Mineral accumulation may be slightly restricting the very small passage for the idle fuel, making idle mixture just a hair lean, good enough to idle in Neutral but not quite enough for the load when shifted into gear.

You may try opening the idle mixture screw, the one that passes thru a spring, turning it out (CCW) just an eighth turn, if this improves operation you should start planing on that carb cleaning.

dendot

Recruit

The yellow arrow is pointing at the idle speed adjustment screw. It has a lock nut to lock the adjustment. It's mounted on the arm attached to the vertical "tower shaft". The tower shaft rotates as you move the throttle back and forth. Screw it in to increase the idle speed. The screw with the spring on the carburetor itself is the idle mixture screw.

I NEVER would have guessed that that was the idle screw,,,,

THANK YOU ALL !!! for the information, possible i can get it to run smoother this year on the Big O

Denny

sijinWLGN

Recruit
Does adjustment with IDLE is solved your issue? I also have the exact same issue with my 40hp outboard.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
9 years ago---I think he fixed it.-----Open new thread for new advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.