Force '88 85 HP battery cable

zubol

Seaman
Hello,

Could you please wah tbattery cables I should use for this engine? I need to change existing ones, but I do not know the parameters.
I need them 3m long.
Also, can I connect 2 batteries for the engine?

Thank you.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force '88 85 HP battery cable

Heavy duty copper automotive type battery cable will work. Typically, minimum of 6 gauge conductor (4.12mm conductor dia.). Larger is better. Yes you can hook up two batteries, although one battery is more than enough to start the engine. I have two batteries with a heavy duty battery switch so that I can isolate the batteries from each other. If one fails, I can switch to the other.

zubol

Seaman

but how you resolved charging? Can two batteries be charged in one time?
I want to have a second, smaller battery just for bilge pump and "just in case".

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The battery switch has a 1stbat, 2nd bat position and an all position.
I run it in the all charge position till I'm where I want to go.Then I switch to 1 or 2 bat.To fish.That way I always have a hot battery for back up.Install a volt meter in the dash.It will help tell when the batteries need switched.A good 550 CCA battery should last all day when you fish listen to the radio and use a depth finder.
#4 battery cable is what i use.Jerry

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The switch has four positions. (1) - Battery #1 only. (2) - Battery #2 only. (3) Battery #1 and #2 together. (4) Disconnect both batteries. If I want to use the engine to charge both batteries, I put it into position 3. I also use a regular battery charger at home on my backup battery the night before (if needed) if I plan on going out on a long trip.

Position 4 is particularly helpful if you have to quickly disconnect the batteries in an emergency situation like a major electrical short. Much quicker to turn the switch than trying to undo a battery cable with a wrench or pliers while reaching down underneath in the battery compartment. Hopefully the main fuse will blow before any major damage occurs but you never know. I also use this position when storing the boat to prevent anything from draining the batteries while sitting.

Here is an example of the type of switch that I use available here on IBoats.

http://www.iboats.com/Ignition-Protected-Battery-Selector-Switches/dm/*******.444675626--**********.862859583--view_id.39362

zubol

Seaman

it does no matter what batteties you use?
Can the main battery be much bigger than the second?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Not 100% sure about the size. In my set up, both batteries are the same size/rating. Different brand but everything else is the same. I think as long as they are "in the ball park" as far as size/rating, you should be OK. It's important to be sure that they are the correct type of batteries (automotive/marine maintenance free, standard type automotive or marine deep cycle). Some gell cell or AGM type batteries are not compatible with the Force charging systems. The factory charging system on the 1988 85HP motor is not regulated, so charging voltage can go as high as 16.5 volts.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Any 450 to 550 CCA is accectable.You can use any size you want for a main battery.A 1000CCA is ok if it fits in the space.I have a pair of 550CCA.
I live in Fl. batteries don't last as long here.Buy a good brand.Sears is always a good bet.Interstate too.Fill out the profile.Jerry

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yes that should be fine. Looks like the outer diameter is 12.3mm X 26mm. That should be about as big as you can use and still fit through the lower cowl opening to attach it to the motor. Each of my battery cables have an outer diameter of 13.5mm. I barely got them through the lower cowl opening. I had to enlarge the opening a little to get them through.

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

remember to use heat shrink on them