1993 Force 40 - change of wire colours ?????

wolfie-uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi, having been so use to Chrysler colours, this Force 40 has totally different colour scheme in a plug, not on a terminal board as i am use to.
I am led to believe that Mercury changed the colour scheme during 1993, can anyone "marry" the two schemes up for me ? i have a US Marine remote that i would like to use, but the loom terminates like a standard chrysler.

US Marine Controller
Black
Green
Blue (with a fork connector)
Blue (with a bullet inline connector)
Purple
Yellow
Red
White
Orange

Force Engine Plug
Red / purple
Brown / blue
Black
Purple
Gray
Yellow / black
Yellow / red
Black / yellow

also as it has PTT there are two other wires, a blue and a green

wolfie-uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1993 Force 40 - change of wire colours ?????

hi, can anyone help with the colour mismatch i have ? as i dont want to connect something and blow the electronic ignition system that Merc fitted when they took over the Chrysler production

carholme

Rear Admiral

Wolfie;

Have you seen the wiring schematics here:

http://www.maxrules.com/fixforcewiring.html

You can select the engine you have and will be able to identify the engine wires. Shouldn't be much of a problem then matching them to the controller. Will see if I can find the controller wiring.

carholme

PS Do you have a p/n for the controller?

wolfie-uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just looked at the link - http://www.maxrules.com/fixforcewiring.html - and it does not show a 1993 Force 40, closest i see it has is a 90 hp, guess its basically the same minus 1 extra cylinder coil wire, anyone know of a diagram for the 40 hp ? Should be able to bell out the US Marine control wiring to check what each wire does as i can not find any part numbers on it anywhere.

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's an alright site, carholme, but it's wildly inaccurate at times.

Such as statements about Force engines like this: "...they were discontinued for the 1996 model year."

Sorry, but most Force engines did continue through the 1999 model year, such as the 25hp, the 40, 50, 75, 90 and 120hp....not 1996 as Mastertech claims.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Wolfie;

Sorry about that. Here is a late model Mercury wire code from the same site which may be of help:

http://www.maxrules.com/fixMERCwiringcodes.html

Cannondale:

Like everything else on the internet, it is up to you to determine the value. I don't understand how reference to an engine year/model makes the site "wildly inaccurate". I doubt the wiring schematics are made up by the owner of the site.

carholme