Picture of bad fuel pump diaphram

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just thought that this would be good for people like me who are just learning for what to look for. I have circled in red where there is a hole in it and it is also very easy to see the threads showing from the cracking. This came off my fuel pump. I know for sure it had been in there for more than 5 years. So if you buy a boat and know that it has been sitting for a long time or even if not check the daiphram. It is super easy to do!

393353815.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Picture of bad fuel pump diaphram

Now you see why I say to put a cheap filter between the fuel pump and carbs. All that junk that cracked off the diaphragm goes right to the carb and can clog the inlet needle, causing one cylinder to run lean which can melt pistons.

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now you see why I say to put a cheap filter between the fuel pump and carbs. All that junk that cracked off the diaphragm goes right to the carb and can clog the inlet needle, causing one cylinder to run lean which can melt pistons.

That what I did.

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bottom cylinder was running lean and not sure yet if have piston problem. Was told that I was running my motor on 2 cylinders, Compression is good now

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do you put a filter between the pump and carbs?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You cut three inches out of the fuel line anywhere you think convenient between the fuel pump outlet and the carb inlet. Insert the plastic filter and clamp it in place. Don't ask me where: Use a little imagination---this is not rocket science.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

You cut three inches out of the fuel line anywhere you think convenient between the fuel pump outlet and the carb inlet. Insert the plastic filter and clamp it in place. Don't ask me where: Use a little imagination---this is not rocket science.

Thanks. Not having my motor in front of me at work, I forgot about the line leading from the pump to the carb.

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

The motor it came off of was 1989 force 85HP

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

Force motor pics_0006A.jpg
Real easy to do, took me about 15 minutes.

Tom

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

ON the diaphram right below the red circle you will see some orange & brown this is from running old gas through the motor. So if buy a boat and it has been sitting for awhile first thing you should do is get rid of the old gas or you will continue to have clogged carbs. I actually had a mechanic put an inline filter on as a solution to the problem and it did not work at all.