Need help with side mount control box

allan lee

Recruit
I have just gotten my 1987 or 1989 force f-150 motor out of the shop. I have an 87 cajun bass boat i would use with this motor. The boat has a crysler control box which is wrong for that motor. So the mercury marine shop said.The motor will not go in reverse.Reason i say 87 or 89 motor cause the numbers on the motor were gone when i bought it.Is there an after market or universal box that can be used? Maybe some of you have a control box laying around? Sure would appreciate any help on this...thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help with side mount control box

Force made the 150 from 1989 through 1994. In 1991 they changed the bore to 3.375 from 3.3125.

In any case, the control cables were still the same as old Chrysler. The box you have will work with any Force engine prior to 1994.

If your engine has WB carbs, it is prior to 1991 If it has larger TC carbs, it is 1991 or later.

Attach a couple of photos of the cable connections at the engine and inside the control box and we can tell you what is wrong and how to correct it.

AGAIN: There is nothing wrong with the Chrysler control box. It WILL work with your Force.

allan lee

Recruit

Thankyou for that bit of info. Just as soon as i can take the pictures and download them i will pass them on. marine shop seemed so sure that the crylser box would not work. but is great too know that it will. thanks and will be getting the pics done soon.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Mercury DID change control cables in the mid to late 90s and that is probably why the shop thought a Chrysler control box would not work. If yiour 150 still has the standard Teleflex cables, the Chrysler box will be just fine.