How to adjust voltage reg on Force 85

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With the new Humminbird Matrix installed, I can monitor system voltage. While testing a prop last night, at WOT the voltage increased to 18.0V which is too high. How can I adjust this back down. I'm thinking I should be in the 16.0V range?

Marty
http://www.martyhammersmith.com

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to adjust voltage reg on Force 85

You can not adjust it because the rectifier is simply that--a rectifier--not a regulator. You can try to add an electronic circuit with resistance to lower the voltage OR you can try salvaging an old Motorola regulator/rectifier from a Chrysler junker. It was designed to work with a 12 pole alternator and I don't know how the increased/decreased frequency of a 20 pole alternator would affect it. This is a "round tuit" modification: I have been meaning to get a "round tuit." but never have.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The rectifier/voltage regulator referenced the the sticky titled "If you have high charge voltage" seems to work well as a cheaper alternative to the OEM version that is used on the later model Force motors. I had the standard rectifier. I spent the extra bucks and installed the OEM version rectifier/regulator and it has worked out great. Never see more than 14.5 - 14.75 volts on my Hummingbird GPS/Fishfinder/depthfinder at WOT. Been on there for 4 years now.

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PNWBoat,

What was the part number for the one you installed and for what model years was it an 85HP OEM for?

thanx,

Al

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, after I posted the start of this thread I saw the STICKY and have purchased the recommended regulator. There is just too much positive feedback to not accept it as the solution. I ordered it a couple hours ago from Sledparts.com and they already confirmed shipping it! $45.99

here is a link to the part we're using.....

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/01-090-1.html

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

That should solve your problem Marty.

Benz Modi....sent you a PM.