• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

trolling plate for 50hp is this ok?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trolling plate for 50hp is this ok?

unsure about mounting my new plate. is 12 inches behind the prop ok? want to get some feedback before i drill four more holes in the cavitation plate. does this look ok?
    thanks
    dino

46 johnson td 20
    54 evi 7.5
    56 johnny 5.5
    54 johnny 10hp
    72 johnny 20hp
    76 johnny 15hp
    68 evi 18hp elect start
    82 johnny 15 sailmaster
    83 evi 9.9 shorty
    84 evi 50 hp, remote, freebie
    85 johnny 30hp ls
    86 evi 4hp
    89 evi 15hp
    87 merc classic 50
    lots o parts
    81 12 foot valco wide body
    85 15' 9" bayrunner
    87 14 foot bayliner
    i dont have a omc problem, so i have a few motors..

Re: trolling plate for 50hp is this ok?

Yes that looks ok.
    That kind of reducer is for the serious fisherman.It's always in use.And always putting a strain on the lower.Theres not a lot of metal on a 50's cavitation plate.
    Spend the $ and buy the releasable kind.That's just my opinion.I used to fish Saginaw Bay,Mi. and did a lot of trolling.I used a whole bunch of kinds and ended up with the releasable.J
    IF YOUR OUTBOARD DOESN"T START WITHING A FEW SECONDS THEN SOMETHING"S WRONG!!!!

Other websites are NOT the place to buy parts.They managed to screw up my last 4 orders.
    NO communication,NO follow through. Incompetent staff.Nuff said!

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.

If you fix your problem,do the rest of the posters a favor and send in one more post telling who,what, how it was fixed.J

88 Bayliner 21CC Twin 85hp Forces.

Comment

or, the serious trotline crabber ;-)
      I put the easy troller on my chrysler 140, its the releaseable type. Works great, I don't know what I'd do without it.

Comment

ok, thanks for the advise. thought the idea was good, but now i understand the flexibility of having one that i can lift when needed.
        46 johnson td 20
        54 evi 7.5
        56 johnny 5.5
        54 johnny 10hp
        72 johnny 20hp
        76 johnny 15hp
        68 evi 18hp elect start
        82 johnny 15 sailmaster
        83 evi 9.9 shorty
        84 evi 50 hp, remote, freebie
        85 johnny 30hp ls
        86 evi 4hp
        89 evi 15hp
        87 merc classic 50
        lots o parts
        81 12 foot valco wide body
        85 15' 9" bayrunner
        87 14 foot bayliner
        i dont have a omc problem, so i have a few motors..

Comment

I couldn't see the pictures the first time. Mine is actually even closer to the prop than that. Probably 6" away. It doesn't have those monster springs in the way though.

Comment

Do they really work like this? That looks like a lot of stress on your outboard plus if you can't move it, doesnt that kill performance? I love the idea of steering it with the boat's wheel though.
            Marty
            http://www.martyhammersmith.com

Comment

I'm with Bman, it looks too far back. The prop can easily shoot water past the plate and reduce it's effectiveness. I have my Troll-a-Matic mounted almost even with the back end of the anti-cav plate, probably 6" back from the prop and it works well.

I'd remove the screw eyes from the mounting arms, slide the plate forward, bolt down the arms, then drill through the anti-cav plate to reattach the screw eyes. Though,,, I don't know if this is possible with the design of the arms. Is that plate supposed to be mounted to the bottom side of the anti-cav plate? Mine is mounted to the bottom of the anti-cav plate.

The plate I have is spring loaded like yours. I like it as I don't have to worry about raising the plate while powering up to planing speed. The locking plates can bend/break if you forget to raise them. The downside to a spring loaded plate:

1- Reverse steering is lessened, you get used to it
              2- The spring loaded plate might not be as effective as a locking plate since the prop can push the plate up. Mine rides at an angle at idle speeds, but I have a 140HP I/O
              2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
              2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Comment

Working...
              X