Chrysler 45 Cable Help Please

Hi,
I've inherited a Chrysler 45 (456h8j) and have been reading these forums the past few weeks to solve a few problems. After replacing a fuel pump diaphragm, she fired right up and I was zipping across the lake.

On my next outing, I couldn't even get the boat off the trailer because it would not go into reverse. It would go forward, but i could barely push the throttle it felt like it was binding.

I popped the engine cover an noticed that when trying to move the throttle there were two thick "flanges", for lack of a better term (one on the throttle rod and the other on the transmission bracket), colliding.

So, my question's:

What could have possibly happened to cause this situation? It ran great and I didn't touch it until my next outing.

How do I fix it? Is there a procedure to adjust the cables?

Thanks in advance for any help.

GG

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 45 Cable Help Please

If the two pieces are hitting.Do you have a silver button on your shifter? Push that in.That's a fast idle.
That no help.Unhook the cables.Then make sure the shifter is in neutral and nothing is loose.Then make sure the lower is in neutral.Shift it a couple of times.Then try to align the connectors,either screwing them in or out to align.
The silver button is to help start a cold motor.Pushing it in or pull it out will affect the shifter.J

So 3 years later I'm reporting back. LOL!

It ended up being an adjustment to the cable in the midsection that went down to the lower unit.

Now off to solve my latest problem...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Gee!!! Thanks for getting back so quick :)
New problem?
Start a new thread?

wickware

Lieutenant

What is your latest problem? I have a 1970 35hp Chrysler that has been nice to me since 1984-85. I researched/worked many basics since then and documented /posted/info/ Pics. It is my understanding that ?Most? 35hp- 55hp Chrysler share the same principles/parts. With exceptions as some dual carb 55hp vs my single carb 35hp, bore, piston and possibly a L/U style on some 55hp. I try to search and find the old info when I think it can be helpful. Using ?Advanced Search) at the top search by name using wickware as the user name, key word as timing, lower unit, Etc and normally see a variety if info that has been collected off this board and Clymer Manuals. Plenty lower unit problems as I had were included.

I love my 35hp.