150 force not charging battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKE1989MAXUM

Recruit
I have a 1990 force that is not charging the battery. Any help would be appreciated. This is my first out board.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150 force not charging battery

Welcome to iboats Mike.

The motor runs ok?

If you have a multimeter, check the voltage between the 2 battery terminals. should be around 12v with the battery charged up.

Then, with the motor running, check the voltage again.
It should be 13.5-15 with the motor running.

If you are not getting the higher charging voltage, and the motor runs ok, then you are most likely looking at replacing the voltage rectifier. 2 screws and 4 wires is all there is.

I think you will have a hard time finding one, unless you find one at a local Mercury dealer.

I think most of the guys have been using a standard square bridge rectifier from Radio Shack.

I think this link will provide all the info you need to install it:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=393050&highlight=square+bridge+rectifier

MIKE1989MAXUM

Recruit

Thanks Roscoe,
I'll give that a shot. I bought the boat off of a guy that had it sitting fir 3 years. Didn,t take long to get it running, just have the charging problem. I have heard from alot of guys that the force motors are not dependable. What is your opinion on that? This motor was running strong when I had it out 50+ mph. What is the max RPM when running? This is my first big out board motor.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I've had Forces for 22 years and just bought a boat with 2 more.
They are simple and easy to work on.The mercury i just sh__ canned needed to go to the dealer everytime it farted and I work on outboards.
The motor you have should run about 5500rpm at WOT.
1/2 tank of gas 1-2 people and a small cooler and go for a ride.Post your results.
When you reply list what prop you have Pitch?Aluminum/stainless?

MIKE1989MAXUM

Recruit

Thanks for the info Jerry,
I am replacing the stator and the voltage regulator. I got the prop in today a 13" 19 pitch aluminum. The other parts will be in on tuesday. Should be ready for the weekend. Hope the PA weather stays nice for atleast a few more weekends. I wil let you know how she runs.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with getting a Radio Shack rectifier. However when I put one on, I was getting 16+ volts. I got a voltage regulator with rectifier. After installing it, I now get 14- 14.4 volts from 1000 to WOT. Its a whole lot cheaper than buying a new battery. Heres the link.
http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/01-090-1.html?id=HqidrKqU

Good luck,
Tom

MIKE1989MAXUM

Recruit

Just got my 1990 150 force back from my boat guy. He went all over the motor. Good compression in all cylinders. He had to replace the stator and the starter. Took it to the river today runs great and is charging fine. I bought this boat off of a guy that had it covered in his back yard for 3 years. Not the only thing I have to do is find something that will take off a few mildew stains. Any suggestions?

funin the sun

Seaman
Could somebody tell me if running my boat with a regular car battery hurt the ignition components and charging components

Status
Not open for further replies.