1982 115 HP Chrysler Starting Problems

Dan_Arch

Recruit
Hello,
I have just finished rebuilding a 1982 Chrysler outboard and I'm having trouble getting it to start. I'm not sure if I have the correct firing order.

Does anybody know the correct firing order for this engine.

Thanks
Dan Architzel

ralpharch

Recruit
Re: 1982 115 HP Chrysler Starting Problems

1 3 2 4 With 1 as the top cylinder

When connecting the wiring from distributor do you go clockwise (looked at from above) or counterclockwise for the 1 3 2 4 order? And is 1 the shortest wire and also closest to the sparkplugs?

Thanks for additional reply

imported_rick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a picture of how mine is wired.

PIC-0046.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Hey, Rick! What's the number of that CDI unit and how do you like it compared to the original Motorola?

imported_rick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Frank,

It's 115-3301. I like it a whole bunch more than the Motorola, especially since the Motorola was fried. :D

After installing it, the motor started right up - for the first time ever - new block as you can see in the pic. Sounds awesome!!!

Sorry for the hijack Dan_Arch.

ralpharch (related to dan??)

The wire on the distributor closest to the plugs is #1, then clockwise looking down at the distributor it's 3, 2, 4.

ralpharch

Recruit

Hi Frank,

ralpharch (related to dan??)

The wire on the distributor closest to the plugs is #1, then clockwise looking down at the distributor it's 3, 2, 4.

Thanks Ric -

Yes my sons Dan and Mike have been rebuilding my old 115 for a while - and restoring/repairing a boat bought at auction for $300. I had previously ordered and received new pistons and rebuilt block from Franz but it just now went together after a couple years of sitting in the garage (I bought a new 4 stroke Suzuki for my boat - works great).

A little frustrating after all the work to just get an occasional fire (or back fire) when turning over the rebuilt Chrysler.

This weekend I am going to use a lot of carburetor throat cleaner and try starting and getting it running (its good compression since all is new - and will occasionally fire but doesn't keep going).

Turns out from your description we did have the wires right.

If all this fails its off to Fairwinds Marina who indicated that they would check over the ignition and carbureators - will cost like 4 hours labor estimate but we've come this far and don't want to give up

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Fairwinds is a good place but try to find Chip Stammer in Pasadena.One of the best Chrysler guys I know.Charlie Stammer is good too.
Ethanol is messing with a lot of fuel systems.Check there first.J

imported_rick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to the forum!

You'll certainly get all the help you need right here, this place is a gold mine of knowledge.

Here's a well written, step-by-step procedure for setting the timing and carb sync. I followed it to the T and my motor runs perfect! Frank's the Man!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=431021&highlight=Synchronizing+carbs+timing

( It really should be a sticky here ;))

ralpharch

Recruit

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice/direction. Will take it and try to save some $ and learn before trying Fairwinds

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

If you're talking about going to fairwinds you must live near me! If you want a hand looking things over let me know. What kind of plugs are you running? My old motor wouldn't run except for a sputter or backfire and it turned out it was the plugs. Its running great on a vintage set from Frank's garage now haha.

Dan_Arch

Recruit

Thanks for the advice everyone. We will look at the carbs this weekend and the link above should help.

The plugs are brand new. I thought at first the plugs could be bad so I replaced them. The plugs are NGK BUHW. They are the exact same as before so I don't think the plugs are a problem.

Thanks
Dan

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Oh, my problem was with autolites, and champions actually, the started making champion in mexico, what I got from there was 4 plugs and all 4 looked different. Junk. One of my friends is a Merc tech and he said they will only use NGK.

pickenpost

Cadet
Question. When I install the new CDI 115-3301 power pack on my Chrysler 140, where should the black, I assume ground wire go? This wire kind of daisy chained from the distributor case to the old coil inside terminal.