Replace 1998 Force 120 with a 2002 Honda 150

davidgussy1

Cadet
I have a chance to replace my 1998 Force 120 with a 2002 Honda 150. The asking price for the Honda is $3,500 with guages, shifter, controls and a ss prop. Is this a good deal? The motor has 1200 hours on it but has been professionally maintained by a mechanic friend of mine. He says it's an excellent deal. Will the Honda fit on a Trophy WA 2002? Do the mounting holes in the transom work from a Force to a Honda? My Force has around 400 hours on it and it runs excellent. I just replaced the stator, voltage regulator and the solanoid. It also has a ss prop and excellent compression.
Any advice would be welcomed.

emoney

Commander
Re: Replace 1998 Force 120 with a 2002 Honda 150

There's guys who I'm sure can be of more help, but here's my 2 cents;
$3500 for the Honda, with that kind of hours (seems like a lot) is probably
an average price, at best. Not that it's too high, but we're still in a recession
and it's a buyer's market. As for "lining up" there's always a way for anything
to fit. It will require some work, but guys do it every day.

If you're happy with the Force, though, why the change? Also, as another
bit of advice, have you shopped around for motors in this size range? You
might find something you like better. IMHO, a Yamaha would be a much
better engine in the long run, but anything that has been properly maintained
should serve you well. The motor you have seems to have relatively low
hours and parts are readily available at most Mercury dealers. And, don't
forget, because of the label, your motor probably won't bring what it's worth
in terms of resale. Obviously, you're the ultimate decision maker and I've
heard good things about Honda, but like anything, there's also guys who will
tell you the opposite.

Spend some time in the "Honda/Nissan/Tohatsu" forum and see what those
guys, that already own them, say. Good luck!

davidgussy1

Cadet

Thanks for the info emoney. I talked with my mechanic friend today and he said the mounting holes are the same. Since my Force is running fine, I may do as you apparently suggested and stay with what I have now.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I doubt seriously that the mounting holes are the same.I could be wrong.If you buy, post and let me know if they are.
1200 hours are a lot.I had a pair of Forces 88/85hp that had more than that and still run great.Salt or fresh water?? Fill out the profile so we can figure that out.
If the compression is good and there is clean oil in the drive.I'd think about it.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It is difficult to fault a Honda! On any other forum you will most likely get the advice to dump the Force.

However: You have a fine running engine and since the Honda will be a 4 cycle, your 2 cycle Force 120 will equal the performance or possibly even better the 150 at least on the hole shot. Four Cycle engines just do not have the low end torque of a two cycle engine.

So, my take is that it would be difficult to justify spending the 3500--even if it is a good deal. And, If later you went to sell the boat, it would be difficult to recoup the money invested. Stay with what you have.

davidgussy1

Cadet

Thanks for all the info on changing out my Force for the Honda. I run my boat in salt water. I do some offshore fishing, but mostly stay with boating to some offshore islands where i live. One island is 12 miles offshore and the other is 9 miles. I live on the Ms Gulf Coast. I was thinking maybe the quietness of the Honda would help with the headache I get with the Force. It really is a LOUD engine. Also, no more Merc two stroke oil. I guess everything has a down side. My Force does run fine, and I changed all the hoses for use with ethanol blended gas. I repainted it with factory matched paint and have a ss prop. The motor looks and runs like new.I did some checking and the Honda is a slow engine; the Yamaha blows the socks off of it. I'll keep you all posted as to what I'm going to do.

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class

Changing a force to honda are you cwazzzyyy. Grass is not alway's greener on other side. Try using semi synthetic oil in force. Hondas are heavy slugs on plus side they do idle nice