what year is my 70 hp force

jeffandtat

Cadet
The tag says oe007307 it is a 70 hp force.. Great motor but i am having starter problems and need to know the exact year so i can get parts. thanks

jeffandtat

Cadet
Re: what year is my 70 hp force

Thank you...... when i turn the key to start theres the liitle gear that comes up and engages the fly wheel well the shaft that the little gear rides on is spinning and making a horrible sound. Is that just a simple starter replacement ? The shop told me i had a week battery but i am putting out 13 volts..............

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Spinning too slowly?
Not engaging the flywheel?

Try cleaning the electrical contacts, make sure they are tight.
Clean the shaft, a a tiny amount of wd40 (not oil) to the shaft.

You can try jumping it with your car battery to eliminate a battery problem.

Is the noise coming from inside the starter? or from the gear trying to engage the flywheel?

You can always try to open up the starter and clean it, can be a pain to get back together, but may save you some $$.

jeffandtat

Cadet

noise is coming from the gear..... and there are metal shavings around it from it grinding or slipping.

jeffandtat

Cadet

ok just took a close look the little gear that engages the flywheel sits on a vertical shaft. when the starter is engaged that little gear is supposed to turn the flywheel, but instead now the gear is slipping on the shaft and making bad noise thats coming from the shaft. when you buy a new starter does that little gear ( i think its called a bendix gear) come with the new starter?????????????

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

yep, comes as a complete unit.

you need only bolt it on.