1997 Force 120 Steering Arm Frozen

msurma

Cadet
1997 Force 120 won't steer. Single steering system. New steering cable 2 years ago. Boat (Caravell 1997 18 ft mid-console) used 2-3 times a year and garaged kept. Disconneted steering cable at moter and steering wheel turned fine. Steering arm is locked and won't go in and out of moter. Lubed steering arm with no result.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1997 Force 120 Steering Arm Frozen

I had same problem on 1989 boat and was using marine grease white kind. Since then I never use that grease. Cheap lithium butter stuff. Try and spray some pbblaster in there through zerk fiting should screw out

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Spray PB or WD any penetrating oil on the shaft.Turn wheel and have someone push/pull on the motor.Most tool companies or lowes or HomeD.sell tube brushes.I hook it to a drill and clean the stering tube.Then keep a can of WD-40 on board and spray the crap out of it EVERYTIME it goes out.
I spray mine a lot.The worst thing for a boat is letting it set.Even in a garage. White lithium is good but messy.J

sidenberg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the exact problem last week. I had just launched and was attempting to drive away from the dock and was unable to steer. The shaft was frozen stuck. The dock attendant, familiar with this issue, fixed it by grabbing the end of the shaft with channel locks and rotating the shaft until it was free. When the motor sits for a while with the shaft exposed to air, salt water or sunlight it can dry out rather quick. The trick is to keep it lubed every few weeks.