help wiring up chrysler motor

polkadots1

Recruit
hi all :)

i have a 45hp chrysler and have a question on how to hook everything to a bettery...

the control box/throttle has red/black wires that hook to a terminal in the motor.

where do i run the main pos/neg wires from the battery into... the control box, or to the motor terminals as well? i'm out of room inside the control box... never wired up a motor before so i could really use thoughts on this. many thanks in advance

pat :)

MostlyHrmlss

Seaman
Re: help wiring up chrysler motor

Without knowing the model and year, I can only be of so much help, but from what I've seen, if it has an electric starter, there will be a big relay (solenoid) between the battery and the starter. This is what you hook the positive side of the battery to (one of the big terminals). The other big terminal goes to the starter. One of the little ones should be grounded, the other goes to the ignition switch "start" position. I had an old Johnson that had this solenoid mounted on the transom, my Chrysler and Force 85hp's have it on the lower cowling. The red and black from the control box might be ignition power or magneto ground wires (my 1978 has the former, the 1985 has the latter). Try a Google image search for "chrysler outboard 45 wiring diagram" and see if you can't find something there.

polkadots1

Recruit

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :) :) this really helps a lot... i can see clearly now

best to you :) pat

proud papa

Cadet

I need help with the wiring on the ignition switch for a 115 HP Chrysler 1158H4G, Thanks, Proud Papa

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Chrysler55 002.jpgChrysler55 001.jpgHere is the side of my 73 55hp Chrysler, Posistive lead from battery attaches to left side of starter solenoid, negative battery cable leads to some ground on the motor block. (The motor is a 73 Chrysler with an 85 Force ignition)

tater76

vortex 055.jpgvortex 057.jpgvortex 054.jpgHere are some more pics of the rest of the wiring on my 73 Chrysler 55hp, the 45hp is very smilar, and like I said the wiring on the motor now is from an 85 Force 50hp. It was a direct swap, so I am guessing the basic wiring and coloring did not change much during this time period. However, wiring is not my forte proceed with caution and a manual.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Ive got a 45 here, I`ll try to snap a couple of pics for ya today.

proud papa

Cadet

I need help with the wiring on the ignition switch for a 115 HP Chrysler 1158H4G, Thanks, Proud Papa

tater76

Proud Papa, is your motor a 1984 model?

proud papa

Cadet

Thank U, but, what I need is how does the wires on the back of the ignition switch hook up? The switch is round, it has six posts to connect wires with one in the center. One at the top left has an s next to it (what color wire?) the one on the top right has AM next to it(what color wire?) the one on the right in the middle has a B(what color wire?) the one on the lower right has a M(what color wire?) and the one on the bottom right has a 1 with a small 3 in between the 1 and the m(what color wire goes here and then there is the connecter in the very middle of the switch(what color wire goes here?) thank U so much, Proud Papa

proud papa

Cadet

proud papa

Cadet

proud papa

Cadet

proud papa

Cadet