1995 Mercury Force 120 hp impeller change now stuck in forward

regregan

Cadet
Just changed the impeller in my 1995 Mercury Force 120 hp. The change went well and relatively easy. I followed the manual and dropped the lower unit while in forward. I replaced the plate and gaskets on the water pump housing and all looked good with only minimal signs of wear. The first time I reinstalled the lower unit it appeared to fit well with only a slight CCW turn of the prop to align the drive shaft. A CW turn of the prop gave a ratcheting sound which is expected in forward gear according to the manual.

I placed the throttle/shifter in neutral and the engine started right up however the prop is engaged. I tried forward, neutral and reverse, gear remains in forward.

I also changed out the gear oil and have read about the danger of removing the "pivot pin" however the manual indicated the 3 screws to remove to drain and fill the gear oil. No mention of a "pivot pin" on this model.

It seems that the shift shaft is not engaging (disengaging) the neutral and reverse gear.

I moved the shifter handle with the lower unit off and watched the shift shaft coming from the top and it moves very slightly about an 1/8 -1/4 turn. Is this normal?

thoughts,

Regan

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1995 Mercury Force 120 hp impeller change now stuck in forward

what plug on the lower unit did you remove for the gear oil.... if you removed the one on side and lowest to the skeg and it looks long like a pin... ur in trouble, the drain plug is either a torx or allen head plug located under the torpedo of the lower unit, you almost have to look upside down to see it and its small about make a 1/4 inch plug... if you did take the pin out then lower unit disassembly is required

regregan

Cadet

There are 3 silver flat head screws that look identical. The two higher ones are labeled "vent" and "oil level" the lower one, on the lower side (bottom) of the torpedo, is not labelled but clearly marked in the Mercury Force manual as the oil drain. Once removed the screw does look a little different than the other screws and has a small "pin" on the end ( about 1/2"). There are no other hex or torx screws anywhere on the unit. The manual does not reference a "fourth screw"

appreciate the help, any thoughts?

foodfisher

Captain

The fourth one, (the drain plug) is there. My1stboat1 nailed it. Bend down and look up, or tilt and look at the bottom of the torpedo.

regregan

Cadet

I have the lower unit off and on a bench. There is no 4th screw, allen, hex or torx screw anywhere. the bottom of the torpedo is completely free of any marks, divots, holes or anything even close to resembling where a screw might go.

The lower screw (the one clearly labeled in the Mercury Force manual says to remove this screw to drain the oil??

Are we talking about the same OB here. Mine is a 1995 Mercury Marine Force 120hp with only 3 screws on the entire lower unit all on the starboard side, one of which is on the lower side of the torpedo (the one the manual says to remove to drain the oil)

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

take pictures... i believe you are just not seeing what were speaking about.. the 85 and 120 lower units have the same cosmetic ports... the lower Drain plug that has the pin that your referring to is about 4inchs up on the middle of the torpedo if thats the case if you were to take that pin out you would still have 4 inches of UNDRAINED gear oil in the lower unit... Take a picture of your 3 holes and the Bottom of the skeg and then we can show you... And im looking at the SELOC manual as im writing this for you they do not reference the pin however the picture of were the drain plug appears to be in the manual LOOKS like that pin but its not..

regregan

Cadet

I just got off the phone with a Force mech, and he told me there is NO pivot pin. Only the 3 oil screws, the lower one for filling and the two top for venting and oil level.

He also advised me how to get the shift shaft into neutral by using some visegrips and a piece of cloth wrapped aroung the coupler and with with gentle pressure. it clicked right in. Hooked up the lower unit and everything runs great.

It seems to appear we were talking about 2 different motors.

Thanks for your help anyway.

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey no problem... just wanna help as many people on this site as we can... did you have an L drive by chance

regregan

Cadet

No to the L drive

Thx again

foodfisher

Captain

Apoligies for steering you wrong! Never too old to learn.:redface:

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like you took out the pivet screw.