1995 120 force mercury battert charging problem

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
HI? my engine is not charging the battery. Due to that, i always run into lack of power problem After every use i have to take the battery to autozone for recharge. the battery is brand new. How do i go about to fix my charging problem or to have the engine charge the battery while the engine is on/running.

PaulO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1995 120 force mercury battert charging problem

Place a multi meter black probe on one of the yellow leads coming from the stator(under the flywheel) and place the red probe on the other yellow wire. Turn the dial on meter that shows up a reading. it should be .6 ohms. Of that is the case that is what you want.

With the engine running select 20 volts ac and place the red probe on one of the yellow wires and the black probe to earth. Depending on stator(12Pole i suspect) you should read 16 volts ac or more on both yellow wires. If that is OK then check the regulator.

Isolate 2 yellow wires on regulator, put the multi meter on Ohms resistance and put the red /black probe each on a yellow wire. Note reading. Switch probes and yellow wires around and note reading. If regulator is working there should be a high reading and a low reading between two test. If they are same then diodes are shot and you need a new regulator. If that is the case look at the sticky on this forum site and checkout universal regulator. It fixed my charging problem.

Check out post #9 by John from MDHere