Force 125 motor mounts broken?

robms6

Cadet
I am in the process of cheaping out and replacing just 1 piston. Anyway I noticed that my motor is/ was rocking like the motor mounts broke. Do the 2 bushings 1 on either side of the engine on the intake side have a bolt that goes through them basically sandwiching the bushing between the motor and housing or does the bushing have 2 separate bolts 1side bolted to the housing and the other bolted to the motor. I am looking at my parts diagrams and cant tell. I would hate to put this puppy back in the water only to have my motor break off the housing and go swimming. I posted a vid on youtube @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUPJ5nYnKY0

Thanks in advance.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Force 125 motor mounts seem broken.

I just looked at mine and I have a bolt coming from the bottom of each of the bushings but nothing going through the top. Do you have these in place, they are on the outside under the big bushings?

robms6

Cadet

Yes The bolts are there RUSTY as heck but they are there on the underside. Does your motor rock back and forth like mine in the vid? It was rocking before I took the covers off. Just grab the lower unit and pull up with 30 or so lbs of force. That rocking just doesnt seem normal. Yes its only going to rock like that in reverse but still. Lemme know

Thanks
Robert

robms6

Cadet
Re: Force 125 motor mounts broken?

Can someone with a force go outside tomorrow and grab the lower unit / pull up on it and let me know if yours rocks also? I am replacing piston #4 next week. If yours does not rock up let me know plz.

BUMP! :)

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

I can?t perform that exact test because the center shroud on the leg on my motor is installed. Under this condition though I do not have any movement whatsoever. If you don?t get the answer today, I would recommend reinstalling the center shroud and trying it again. Low on the leg above the lower unit there is a rubber lip that goes all the way around the shaft/exhaust housing and that the center leg shroud tightens down on it. My guess is that this will stop the rocking.

The bolt on the grommet on my motor does not appear to go into the block.

robms6

Cadet

The motor was rocking like that before I took the cowls off and broke it down. I guess there is indeed a lower mount that ties to the lower leg that is broken. I am yet to find a parts diagram that shows definitively if the bolts go through the leg. from http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/1233_9.cfm

Part #'s 56 & 61

I'll post another vid this afternoon

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Yup, if it was rocking before I would say you have a problem. Mine is as tight as a drum.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

When you take that leg cover off your engine will do that it's normal. There are 2 round bushings and one that wraps around a little lower. When you put that lower leg cover back on it will sandwich all of the bushings and hold the motor together.

robms6

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Maybe that gastket has degraded to the point that the motor can move a little when that cowl is on.

Thanks
Robert

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

What year Force? Mercury lower unit (94 and later) or original Force lower unit?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Ahh! I just looked at your video---the lower motor mount is broken. Happens all the time with age.

The engine is held by two rubber pancake biscuits on the upper end. These biscuits have a 9/16 head bolt (some have 3/4) on the bottom of the front shroud. The top have a square aluminum plate that plugs into a square hole in the midleg below the match plate on the block. These are also secured by two spring steel washers and a 9/16 head bolt for each one.

Now, to the nitty-gritty. The lower motor mount is secured by 8 bolts. Four 1/2 inch head bolts go through the kingpin cap and the front of the motor mount, while four others secure the rear plate to the midleg.

To change the motor mount, you must first remove the rear shroud for clearance. Then remove the four front bolts and remove the kingpin cap. It is also necessary to remove the two 9/16 bolts from the bottom of the biscuits so you can pivot the whole engine outward.

Be careful here because at this point the engine is NOT secured and simply resting upon its own weight.

NOW pivot the lower leg out and remove two of the four bolts holding one side of the mount to the midleg. LOOSEN the other two and slide out the motor mount. You will see that the rubber biscuit has failed at one of the metal plates.

Now, insert an new or rebuilt motor mount and rebolt it. Untilt the engine, shift it around until the bolt holes line up and rebolt the biscuit mounts.

See my private message to you.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Frank 79: It is not considered ethical to resurrect an old thread. You really need to start your own---BUT read my reply #12 above. It applies to your engine as well.

MOD EDIT - The Frank79 threads have been moved. Thanks for trying to help, even when they don't heed the advice. GA_B

Last edited by a moderator: