1974 chrysler 120 hp water pump/impeller???

riley_2006

Recruit
FORGIVE MY HORRIBLE EXPLANATION OF THIS!!!

PROBLEM: the water isnt circulating correctly causing motor to overheat...the water pump appears to be ok and impeller looks fine, but the (seal i think) (rubber thing in the water pump).... is cracked.....Would that cause the water to not push up and flow out of the nostril...nose hole looking thing, and the water tube thing that comes out of the motor cover. and if that is the problem can i buy just that part, i found my impeller online if i needed to replace it, but cannot find the correct one to replace the whole water pump!!!!
1974 chrysler 120 HP model number 1207 HF

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 chrysler 120 hp water pump/impeller???

I'm good and can read minds! LOL Seriously, I think you mean the black rubber grommet between the water pump and the brass tube is cracked. Unless leaking extremely badly, this should not cause overheating. It is always a good bet to replace the impeller--relatively cheap insurance.

You can get an impeller, the rubber grommet and/or a whole water pump case from franzmarine@aol.com. Remember to replace the gasket under the stainless plate too.

riley_2006

Recruit
Re: 1974 chrysler 120 hp water pump/impeller???

ok thanks i will check franzmarine! the water pump is fairly new but i cant think of anything else causing the water not to pump right and keep it from overheating! the boat did sit for a year not being started or winterized!