Chrysler Pre-merc fuel pump question

I have got a Chrysler 45721 45hp 1967 outboard. The fuel pump has attached to it a glass bowl held on with a u-shaped clip and thumb screw. Would anyone know the part number for the clip and thumbscrew?
Or would anyone know if there is a fuel pump that would work without the glass bowl, because if I can get rid of the bowl and just put on another pump without it that would be the best. Thanks in advance.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler Pre-merc fuel pump question

Just get the newer style pump that is an assembly with the bypass cover. The only modification you need is to plug the hole in the block for the top black impulse hose 1/8 NPT plug available at Sears, Lowes, Home Depot etc. If you can't find one send me a private message--I have a couple extra.

Hey thanks for the reply, I didn't expect any reply at all actually because of the age of the engine. Do you happen to know the part number for that pump and is it a merc part or a chrysler part? I'll send you a pm anyway. Once again thanks I thought I was going to be searching for months for this.

Would this be the newer style pump that would work?

Attachments

• fuel pump.jpg
    fuel pump.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

YES! That will work. See my private message to you

wickware

Lieutenant

I like that glass bowl on my 1970, 35 HP Chrysler. It lets me know when I?m primed up when I?m doing my yearly check-up in the barrel. Plus I can see the condition of the fuel related to inline filter and it let me know when the fuel was basically run dry when I ran it dry before using Stabil. I do have another once clear filter inline just past the primer bulb. Is the upgrade a preference vs any advantages? JOW

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The advantages are that there is one less impulse hose to leak, the new style does not bolt onto the head with a head bolt, the screws holding it together are larger, the output or inlet ( I forget which) nipple is a larger diameter, and it takes less space under the hood. They both use the same diaphragm (except for the larger screw holes) and both should pump the same amount of fuel.

Also cost the factory less to make because only one part is needed as the lower half is part of the bypass cover, no steel bracket is needed, and no mounting screws are needed. ---And that is probably the main reason it was redesigned.

wickware

Lieutenant

Thanks! I see the advantages. JOW

Attachments

• 2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (1).JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (1).JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 0

Hey Frank, I just sent you a couple of PMs, thanks for the help.

Hey Frank, I don't know if you saw but I sent you another PM letting you know I will need that pump. I don't know where else to find an entire pump.