Location of neutral safety switch, 85 hp 1989

pedro61

Recruit
Hi, I was hoping to find out where the neutral safety switch is located on a 1989 85 hp Force outboard. Thanks...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Location of neutral safety switch, 85 hp 1989

On the motor near the shift cable.Has yellow/red wire to it.
There might be one in the shifter too.Same wire,J

pedro61

Recruit

Jerry, thanks for the feedback. What is the best way to test whether the switch is working properly? I assume it's an electrical component as opposed to a mechanical device? Can I take it off and clean/adjust? Or does it either work or not work? I'm having issues restarting after stopping or stalling... sometimes turning key doesn't turn engine over and choke doesn't move. But, if I shift into forward, then back to neutral, I get choke and the motor turns over... Thanks very much..

john from md

Commander

If the switch is working, when you put the power lever in foward and turn the key, the starter will not engage. The purpose of the switch is to prevent you from starting the engine while in gear.

The choke and the neutral interlock switch are totally separate circuits and have nothing in common except for the ignition switch and the terminal boards.

I suggest buying some contact cleaner from an auto store and spraying it in the ignition key slot then work the key back and forth. Do this a couple of times and see if your problems clear up.

John

fisharrow

Cadet

p61,

I am not an expert at all, just joined. The neutral safety switch can be bypassed by putting a jumper wire between the two wire terminals on the switch. This will "fool" the switch and make it act like it is neutral. Just remember it is a..............safety switch. Talking about the switch on the motor.
Fisharrow

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

When in neutral there should be a metal piece pushing on the button on the neutral safety switch. If you dont know what we're talking about then remove the switch with the wires still connected and tape the button down on the switch and try to start. If it does crank then you have to adjust the piece of metal that pushes down on the switch. Best way to do it is put it back in neutral and loosen the screw or screws and make sure the adjustor is pushing the switch down. Tighten screws. Mine has 2 yellow wires....one wire comes from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch and the other wire leaves the safety switch and goes to the starter solenoid you can't miss it. Looking at the engine from the rear...it's on the front right side of the engine and it's black and rectangular. If that doesnt work then unhook the 2 wires and hold them together with a small pair of vise grips making sure not to touch ground with anything. Try to crank again. You'll get it. P.S....the choke thing happened to me last year. All I did was push the key in and out about 20-40 times and it works now. The contacts may be corroded. Don't know about your choke slash neutral safety switch problem though. Can't be a ground problem because the safety switch doesn't require a ground it's just a basic open/close circuit. Might be the ignition switch. Fiddle with it and move it back and forth between the 3 positions for a while and try again. Check all the hot wires on the terminals and the battery. Maybe they're loose. Sorry about the confusing post...im buzzed...lol.