45 hp chrysler starter removal

sparky88

Recruit
hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first posting.
I recently purchased a 1980 chrysler boat with a 45 hp model 457hol outboard motor. I believe that I burned up the starter at the lake last weekend. The carburetor got clogged and I kept trying to get it started by cranking the starter untill the battery died. Now the starter wont budge. the seloniod clicks, but when I put a test light on the starter connection the light comes on and off as I spin the starter. I purchased a starter rebuild kit but cannot figure out how to remove the starter. if someone could help me as to how to remove the starter it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 45 hp chrysler starter removal

Before you tear into your starter. Are you sure the starter is bad? Or is the Solenoid bad?

Make sure you battery is fully charged.

Take a jumper wire from the + side of the battery and touch it to the Starter bolt. (Where the cable bolts on) Does the starter spin? IF it does, then your solenoid is bad.. If not, Continue removing the starter.
On the back side of the starter bracket there should be a couple of bolts. Remove those and the whole bracket and start should just come off.

Oh, Disconnect your battery 1st.

sparky88

Recruit

Thanks, I will try that tonight and let you know.

Nove Nefie1234

Recruit

hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first posting.
I recently purchased a 1980 chrysler boat with a 45 hp model 457hol outboard motor. I believe that I burned up the starter at the lake last weekend. The carburetor got clogged and I kept trying to get it started by cranking the starter untill the battery died. Now the starter wont budge. the seloniod clicks, but when I put a test light on the starter connection the light comes on and off as I spin the starter. I purchased a starter rebuild kit but cannot figure out how to remove the starter. if someone could help me as to how to remove the starter it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

hello i am looking for get a starter rebuild kit for my 45 chrysler 1979 outboard morter but cat seem t find one that will ship in canada could you help me?