50 Hp force no spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisharrow

Cadet
Hey all, I am a newbie as you can see. I am going through the force owner frustration syndrome. I have been lurking for a while, I must compliment you folks on your expertise. O.K. Enough shmoozing. Here is the situation: '89 force mod. 507Y9B. Have owned her for 2 years, never a problem until last trip out. The motor ran great as usual. At the end of the day I putted back to the launch through a no wake zone for about 15 min. Shut the motor off to get truck/trailer. Went to load boat - no start!! I replaced Spark plugs (ngk buhw-2). Nothing. I am getting fuel (50:1). Spent the last two days checking wire connections throughout the setup. All are in good order, clean and tight. Kill switch, stop wires...I am sure that it is a fire problem. When I did the stop wire test with a volt meter CD wire to terminal I had 1.7 -2.1 volts when bumping the starter. Sorry for being so long, just wanted to get as much info out as possible.
Thanks in advance for any help, shore bound in Wa.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 50 Hp force no spark

Do a spark test.Then a comp test.Is the flywheel magnet still glued in?It's possible the flywheel key might have sheared.J

fisharrow

Cadet

JJ05,
I did check for spark on both plug wires using a timing light - nothing. The magnet is in place. All components under the cowl look very clean and in good shape. This boat came to me from my father in law who bought it new, so it's past life is not in question. He always took it to a dealer for service. I don't have the proper meter to check the stator.
Could it be the ignition switch?? Any way to test without just replacing?

Thanks Fisharrow

pipestone guy

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same motor 89 50 hp. Does it turn over just not fire? I would like to know how you checked for spark using a timing light. The usual way to check for spark would be to use a spark tester as described in other posts. or pull the plugs out re-attach the plug wire, ground the plug and crank motor. You should be able to see it sparking.

I will have to look at my Seloc manual some more to let you know what terminals to check on the ignition switch. Good Luck!

john from md

Commander

If you are not getting any flash from a timing light, then you are not getting a secondary discharge from the coil.

Since you have never had any problems before, I would disconnect the Black and yellow or white wire from the ignition switch. You can have either color so if you don't see one, look for the other. With these wires disconnected, your ground for the CDI module is disconnected. If the engine starts, you have a bad ignition switch.

BTW, if the engine starts, you won't be able to turn it off with the switch with the wires disconnected. They must be grounded to shut off the engine.

John

fisharrow

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys. I have tried to post twice in the last two hours or so. Not going through somehow. Still "in the same boat". My IT gal a.k.a. wife is out of town. I will update 7/22 a.m. :)

fisharrow

Cadet

Today's update:

I have ruled out ignition switch, kill switch. All connections are good, including grounding system. Plenty of battery and cranking revs. Stop wire off of CD has no effect. Have checked for spark with timing light and manually grounding plug to block. Both plugs were checked.
John, good point about the coil and the timing light. Thanks.
I don't have a peak reading meter. Did resistance test on stator and trigger. They are within OEM specs.
I do have AC voltage going into the CD
I do NOT have DC voltage coming out

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm? Ideas?

Thanks, Fisharrow

john from md

Commander

The DVA adapter won't do anything for you if your module is fried.

At this point, assuming you have no chaffed wires that are grounding, the only thing it can be is your CDI module.

Since they are pretty expensive, I would do a double check under the flywheel and make sure no insulation has be burned or scraped off of any wires.

John

fisharrow

Cadet

Thanks John,
I think the CD is the culprit. As mentioned earlier, the under cowl area is in very good order. Looks much newer than it should in fact.
You are right on about the cost of these little blue buggers. Don't really want to start throwing parts at this without accurate diagnosis.
I would much rather reduce the local carp population than reduce the Ben Franklin population in my wallet.

I would appreciate any more thoughts on this as I am not going to order any parts for a day or two. (Local dealer wants $405.00 for his CD unit):eek:

I am really glad I found this site. You guys are great. Fisharrow

fisharrow

Cadet

John,
Thanks for the info. No progress on the motor, took today off to re-color my hair from white back to salt & pepper.
I will order a new CDI module. I am shopping around as $$$$ are an issue right now.
I have found that most of the pricing, on the web, is pretty consistent so far.
I am curious if anyboby out there has dealt with "outboardparts.com"?
I do know about P.M.'s if that will help me get some feedback.

Thanks again, Fisharrow ;)

john from md

Commander

Ask about the CDI's in the Electronics forum. You may get a better response there.

John

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Having same issue with mine.did u ever fix it and if so what did u all do?

The OP has not visited since starting this thread. Read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new topic with your question.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.