Chrysler 60 HP Carb help

lovefishin11

Recruit
so here's the situation. I cleaned out the carbs today and reinstalled them. the engine hasnt been run for about 4 months and it would start. so i reinstalled the two carbs (one on top, one right below-connected by fuel line) and tried turning the engine on (electric start). It turned on for like 15 seconds, and right as I was getting excited, it started squirting gas out of a hole in the top carb. it was squirting alot. ok, so note about these carbs-when i was cleaning them out i unscrewed this needle at the top of the carb that you can see as soon as the air intake was taken off. these needles had springs on them and lost one spring. i went to the hardware store and bought the closest looking spring i could find. The gas just happens to be spraying out of that one with the slightly different spring, but I dont know if thats actually the problem. It wont start now, just attempts at turning over. Please Help!!! thanks alot. oh and the engine is a 74 chrysler

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Chrysler 60 HP Carb help

I believe you are missing a plug. I think it is called a welch plug. Not sure if your spring had anything to do with it. If you have a manual that could help. Also, check out Crowley Marine. They have pictures of what you are missing. If you have a Mercury dealer near they should be able to help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 60 HP Carb help

The hole that the gas is comming from is an overflow.It's supposed to go there if the needle/seat and float get stuck.Or if you have the wrong part in there.It probably would have been better if you left it out.
You need to get a new spring.Try here. valleysales@charter.net.Tell them Jerry sent you.
After you get that together.You need new plugs as the old are probably soaked.J