86 - 85hp Force shifting or gear issue

Digpig

Cadet
Hi all. I have ( since I bought it) had a strange "clunk" almost like a miss when shifting into forward from Neutral, after a few seconds it stops and runs fine.....just this past weekend It was running well. I went to run it the next morning and when I shifted into forward fron Neutral it had a strange clicking metallic type noise (hard to describe)...when moving slowly in forward gear. after bearing with the noise and getting it to full thottle (possibly bad I know) the isuue went away and ran perfect at WOT. I could slow the motor down to a troll or any other speed and it was fine...UNTIL...I shifted it back to neutral then back to forward again. Then the same nasty noises untill it settled it at a higer speed.....almost like it wasnt fully engaging in gear right away at slow speed.....again great at WOT and troll once running but the initial shift to FWD is a mess !!!
Any ideas ??
I'm hoping shifter linkage but fear gear issues....

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 86 - 85hp Force shifting or gear issue

Normal. You have to move the shifter faster with a determined stroke. Slow shifting will wearout the dogs/gears. A solid thunk is what you want to hear/feel. Like the old Harleys.

Digpig

Cadet

Thanks...The clunk is not only when shifting..it continues like a bad miss...it may clunk 10-12 times before it evens out at wot......I have shifted it firmly and the clicking noise isnt as bad but still far worse than normal. ..

john from md

Commander

You need to adjust your shift linkage. The procedure can be found in the Seloc manual, I would think the Clymer has it also. If your shift likage is out of adjustment, the shift dogs will get worn.

John

foodfisher

Captain

Oh oh, over my head. Help is on the way, just keep checking replies.

Digpig

Cadet

Thanks Food and John........I should have mentioned when I took the prop off and shifted it it was fine, it only was a problem when there was resistance or "load"...and reverse was never a problem...smoothe and quiet prop on or off. Still just a linkage adjustment in your opinion John ?

john from md

Commander

That would be the first thing I did. Since your reverse was never a problem, there is a good chance that the linkage is just shifted one way rather than centered.

John

Digpig

Cadet

Thanks again John. I have a Seloc and it"s quite vague about how to properly adjust the linkage. I'm also land bound for now so even if I could play with it I couldn't tell you if it improved the problem.

john from md

Commander

Here is the quick and dirty way to adjust the shift linkage.

Disconnect the shift cable inside the cowl.

Move the shift rod that the cable was connected to towards the rear of the engine while spinning the propeller. I don't remember which direction is which but it is not important. The important thing is to make sure you rotate the prop as you are pushing on the lever to insure full engagement of the gear.

When you have done this, go down to the shift rod at the front of the lower leg. With a felt tip pen, make a mark on the rod where it meets the lower housing.

Now, move the shift rod in the opposite direction, again while turning the prop.

Go back down to the shift rod and make another mark at the same junction of rod and lower.

Now, position the shift rod so that it is halfway between the two marks at the junction of the lower leg. Rotate the prop in both directions to insure it is in neutral. If it is, make a third mark while the rod is in this position.

This center mark is now your neutral mark. Leave it be and insure the power/shift lever is in the neutral position at the helm. Next, adjust the cable until in just fits onto its ball. Tighten the lock nut and you are done.

Regards,

John

Styxx

Cadet

Hey John I seen your thread about finding your neu/ford/rev. I can do this with my problem that I have. I didn't mark the shift rod when I took off my lower end. Marine engines are new to me. I learned how to fix aircraft engines and you would think I would understand marine. Good learning experience.
Thanks again Craig

Styxx

Cadet

Hey John Thanks. I'll fix the shift rod up tomorrow. Sucks sometimes but great way to learn. Appreciate all the help, it's going to be nice to get the boat in the water and enjoy it.
Thaks again Craig

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

how the lube in the gear box??

Styxx

Cadet

The lube was milky colour. I changed the gear lube.